Firegod23

Nov 26, 2000
I just ran across a brand new 1999 KX250 that the dealer had left over from that year. My question is this...

To anyone that has owned a '99 KX250, Is this bike better that the '01 and '02 KX's in terms of engine. Can you describe the power band of the '99 and it's handling traits.

Thanks for the info,
Bill:think

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The kxs havnt changed much since 99-the engine is probably better than the 02.The only thing i would say is to get the dealer to throw in some non progressive springs for your weight-the std progressives were horrid and ruined a good bike.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Thats right. The only thing that hindered the 99 was the stock progressive springs. I changed them as soon as I bought mine. Some people complain about the brakes but if you keep them bled they are fine. GREAT motor. Excellent handling. I usually trade bikes every two years but have kept this one and may keep it when I find a new ride. The addition of Eric Gorrs 310 big-bore kit made a great bike even better. Can you tell I am happy with this bike. :) :) :)

yz 200 guy

Aug 28, 2000
Excellent motor. Allows you to put the power to the ground and twist the throttle. I raced mine very successfully in D22 Hare Scrambles this year. I put on a 7 oz. flywheel and left the motor stock.
Ditch the stock springs and run straight rates, I also installed MX Tech pistons and valving. 1mm shorter pull rods help the turning on flat ground, as does raising the forks up in the clamps. I run about 10 mm.
My bike would still work good for MX too. All in all a really nice, strong 250.

All recent KX 250s could vibrate less, turn a little sharper and get new radiator shrouds that don't kill your knees as you grip the bike.

As I am selling my bike soon, I'm curious to know what kind of deal you are getting on this leftover.

yz 200 guy

Firegod23

Nov 26, 2000
I havn't even talked money yet. They have it listed for $4995. I was looking at a '02 CR250 when I found the KX. I will be using the bike to run in local H.S. Maybe a little MX but not much. I wanted as much low end power, and still stay as light as I can. When I saw the '99 KX, I thought I remembered talk of such a great low end motor.

Thanks for the info, and continue adding your imput please,

Bill

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Check that price!

Firegod23,
A friend has a '99 KX250 and loves it. In fact, I loved riding his so much I bought an '01 and I'm selling my '99 CR250.
I paid $3150 for a sub ten hour '01 KX250 from MN. It's not a good time to sell up there, so I got a great deal. Before you pay over $3500 for a '99, even new, look around. I'm seeing new '01s for $4400-4500, so be careful with your investment.

Good Luck,
Scott

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
99 KX250

Ok dont get me wrong, I own a 2000 KX250 but unless you get an incredible deal that you cant pass up, get yourself a newer bike. I like my KX and all but if I had to do it again Id get either a YZ or a CR. After riding a friends YZ and a CR I can see why the mags consider the KX a pig. The newer bikes seem so much smaller and more nimble than the KX. Especially since they havent really had any real modifications in the last 5 or so years. If your just getting back into riding and the price is right, then maybe the 99 KX is ok. If your thinking of racing or doing some serious riding then you might consider something else. If money was no object then Id get a KTM. Thats my $ .02 worth.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
The '97,'98 and '99 were all 250's of the year. VERY strong motor, but sus. needs help(nothing Jeremy can't fix, easily and quickly). A buddy of mine has an '01 YZ250 and he said that mines faster(of course, I've actually got a 267;) ). After riding them both, there's not a lot of difference, even before the engine job. The powerbands are very broad. You can't go wrong w/this bike. Except for that price. I got mine last Jan. and paid $2900 for it. It was used, but well maintained. Check out NADA Guides or Kelley's Blue Book online to get a price.

Firegod23

Nov 26, 2000
Thanks for the input....the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward the '02 CR. I like the weight and reported power delivery of it. I just happened across the KX and thought I would get your opinions.

Thanks,

yz 200 guy

Aug 28, 2000
I just got a price range from my dealer on what my '99 is worth. His book showed $3250 to $4200, now that is a spread! It also seems high after looking at recent ads for KX's.

As an owner of one also, I agree with Boodac, the bikes are big and hard to turn compared with my experience with the blue bikes. But I think most of us B and C riders are getting pretty picky. If the price is right, the KX honestly still has more performance than we can extract from it as riders. Tune and set it up right for you and you'll be rewarded with a great machine.

I got my KX from trading a dual sport. It showed up at the dealers and looked brand new. If I was able to pick, I would have wanted a Yamaha, they turn better in my opinion, and don't give up much of the KX's strengths.

yz 200 guy

Top Bottom