mxwilly

Feb 23, 2003
hey everyone, my wife's 99 rm80 worked awesome till we went riding last week. a buddy was riding it and it just up and quit, no sputtering or anything. would not kick start after that. we eventually got it to bump start, and it would run fine until it seemed to get hot...then quit again.

definitely won't kick start cold, tried a new plug, cleaned out the carb etc......

any ideas? i did a bit of searching, and all i can see is maybe a piston ring or reeds.....what do you think?

crazy_man

N. Texas SP
Mar 2, 2005
it might be a cooling problem cauze this happend on my 03 rm 100 when i was in the sand
same thing, but mine was over heating, i never found the problem out but it fixed its self and ran like nothing happened, i have no :clue: how it fixed itself????? but check your coolant level and system but im not shure though

rmracer

Oct 27, 2004
I would definetly check your stator out. Mine went bad on my bike and I could not get it to start no matter what, since I had no spark. If you have spark, then you know your stator is good. However, that is not always true. My uncle had a bike once that would start cold but once the bike heated up, it would stall. This problem was cured with a new stator. The problem was when the bike would heat up, a break in the wire would seperate and the stator would fail. Then, when it cooled down, the wires contracted and connected again and it would start. It sounds exactly like what you are experiencing. I wouldn't think your problem is the piston unless you have really low compression.

mxwilly

Feb 23, 2003
hey rmracer.....I was at a bike shop today and they also mentioned it may be the stator..the parts guy was uncertain if it could be tested though....anyway to test if it's the stator...I know it's got spark, cause i pulled the plug and watched it fire...haven't tested for compression yet though....to cold here today to work on it....thanks for the heads up.

willy

mxwilly

Feb 23, 2003
well, had some time today, and i tore the little beast apart.....ring was stuck in the piston...so it mustta got quite hot.

can't see any other damage though, and i've never seen the top of a piston so clean.....is that a sign she was running lean? i could read all the info off the top of the piston...strangest thing i've ever seen.....usually i've come across carbon build-up, but not on this one.

i'm gonna put a new piston and ring in her, gonna get reeds too incase she got real hot. hopefully that'll get the little monster back into business. still puzzles me though, if it was the ring...would it cause the bike to stall? i know it wouldn't start because it would be low in compression, but would it stall it?

just curious what you think.

thanks,
willy

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
While your doing the rebuild it may be worth checking the impeller on the coolant pump. If I recall correctly on that bike it's a plastic impeller that tends to melt and then not move coolant real well, could be part of an overheating problem. Generally you would notice it puking coolant though if it got that hot.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
mxwilly, I tryed pm but I couldn't due to restrictions, where in ontario are you? Im in Sault Ste. Maire. Thanks.

mxwilly

Feb 23, 2003
hey rm_racer,

i'm outside walkerton....used to live in guelph and t.o. but grew up in this area and finally convinced my wife to move up here.

chili, thanks for the note, i'll check it out now that I've decided to rip her apart.

willy

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom