sp1tekiller

Aug 23, 2004
Since I got my '05 RM-Z450 is has always been finicky to start cold to say the least. When it is warm/hot it starts up first kick but NEEDS the hot start. Without the hot start it will not even try to start when warm/hot.

Anyways, when cold it takes quite a few kicks before it even tries to fire, this is with the choke on, gas on and no turns of the throttle. After about 5 kicks or so, it will usually backfire once when I kick it, then the next kick it will fire. When it fires it kind of blubbers for a second or 2, then I give it a tiny bit of throttle and it will sometimes catch and start, or it will die. If it dies I kick again and it blubbers again. I keep doing that until it catches.

The bike hasn't been running in a week so I went out to start it. Gas on, choke on, about 15 kicks and all I got were 3 backfires. Each one progressively louder than the one before it.

One time when starting I tried to give it a twist of throttle before starting, because my CRF250 loved this. It didn't make a difference really and just seemed to make it backfire sooner.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE:

Well I got it going. Took about 10 kicks, and it popped a couple of times. Let it get hot and run for a few minutes. Shut it off and it backfired once after it shut down. There is also a lot of carbon around the end of the silencer. Am I running rich or something?

sp1tekiller

Aug 23, 2004
Well this morning I went out and gave it 2 one half throttle twists and it fired up fairly quickly. I let it get warm with the choke on, then shut the choke off. It idled fairly high with the choke on and kicked down a little without it, but was still a little high. Eventually it would kick down to a low idle where it should be, but as soon as I would rev it, it would idle high again and once again kick down after about 20 seconds or so. When I shut it off, it backfired again. Weird how it's doing that, it never did before.

sp1tekiller

Aug 23, 2004
Well I took it riding today and everything was A-OK. Couple twists of throttle and off she went. I guess I'll just have to twist it from now on.

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
Colder temps usually means a bike runs leaner, not richer. Open up the fuel screw 1/4 turn and see what happens (Just in case -- the fuel screw is located on the bottom side, on the front of the carb.)

LVDirtJunky

Aug 8, 2006
I also have the 05 RMZ 450, I always give 3 turns of the throttle before i kick it for initial start when cold and it starts fairly quickly, no gas while kicking, I also did not have to mess with the carb, but climates vary. I did notice that if I dont turn it a few times it is a lot harder to start and then i realize that i didnt and turn it a few times and again it start right up, like smith said, since its backfiring the adjustment would only help starting the bike.

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
My RMZ starting profile seems to be fairly simular, choke it 3 throttle twists and kick it over with no throttle and it starts within 2 to 3 kicks. I think any other problems would be related to jetting. Mine was aparently set up perfectly for the mid west were I live. I have experienced no other problems. I have noticed that if you do not kick it over with the full range of the kick starter it will almost never start. Im sure you fellow 4 stroke guys already know this. It seems to be real common among my 2 smoke friends that get on my bike (while running cause I know they cant start it) and stall it and try to start it with a half of a kick like on their smokers. Thumpers take the full stroke.

Top Bottom