1'st Race/Valencia Sport SixSixOne Pressure Suit report

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
First off I would like to thank everyone for the advice I got on this forum.
I got to the track around 7:30 and nothing was ready, there seemed like there was alot of confusion as to what was going on, it was this tracks first MX race. I called around to some of my friends to see if any of the "maybe I'll go" were going to show up and was disappointed to find no one else was going to be there, I wasn't really keen on pitting by myself not knowing what was going on. I was just kind of mulling around thinking about leaving when I ran into one of the guys that works on the base and one of his buddies. Finally, at least a familiar face and someone to hang out with, if they weren't there to talk me into it I would have pussed out for sure. They were helpful, explained how everything worked and told me to just sign up for the 250 begginer class. Practice came around and I only took one lap the first time, the track was fairly muddy in some spots, they had to have watered the crap out of it seeing as there has been no rain in like a week or so and it has been 85-95 degrees here in central A.R. The second practice came around and the quads had run and the track was much better, not quite as slick. I took two laps around the track and my biggest fear had hit me. I was getting pretty winded and for the first time since I have been riding I got some pretty wicked arm pump and my hands were cramping up, I think I was just really tense, hanging on with everything I had and not using my legs like I needed to. I pulled off and cooled down and drank some more water and gatorade. High Lord Gomer was right about have to go to the bathroom all the time, and it always seemed like it was right before it was my time to get on the track. :laugh: It was around 11:30 before I got to run the first race. We lined up, there was only six of us running, 4 of us in the 250 begginer and 2 guys running in the +45. I was the only one on a two stroke. The gate drops and we were off, I have to admit is probably one of the coolest feelings I have ever had. One thing I learned was don't line up in between the old guys. I was right on there butts totally getting roosted. That was the last I saw of the old guys untill they lapped me on the fourth lap. I did okay for the first two laps and was actually ahead of someone until about two laps into it when fatigue hit me. After the third lap I was all by myself with the other guy barely in sight and just out for survival. The last two laps were total hell. My hands were cramping and my forearms were rock hard, I pretty much had to roll everything but the table tops and I know that that is actually harder on the body than jumping it but I was spent. I kept going though, mainly because by that time one of the guys I work with had shown up and I saw him and his boy standing at one of the corners cheering me on and I could see my wife and little girl when I went over the table top and into the first corner clapping and hollaring at me. Boy, was I ever so happy to see that checkered flag and be able to pull off the track and strip down. I ended up about a half lap down from the third place guy so I really got smoked but it was still pretty cool. The few people that were there congrated me and then I waited for the second moto. Then I waited and waited and waited and it was about 2:00 and about 90 degree's and I was getting sun burned even though I had on SPF 50 sunblock and was sitting in the shade. The quads were still running coating everything with dust and just making it unpleasent. That was when I said screw it and packed up. I didn't run the second race, so I didn't really finish and feel like a little bit of a failure. That bothers me more than getting completely smoked in the race, but I was hot, dirty, tired, and nasty. My wife had left and the other guys that I was pitting with decided to leave and not run. I really didn't want to just sit there for another 2 hours by myself so now, Monday morning, I am a little dissappointed in myself. So that was my first race experience. I really need to ride some more and get some more practice and conditioning in. The track was 1.2 miles in length, is that long for a MX track? Alot of people seemed to think it was big. I am definetly going to do it again, just when the weather cools down some and I have a little more than the 6 months riding experience I have now.

As far as the pressure suit goes, I really liked it. The first time out I had a tank top on and then the suit, and then because I think it looks a little dorky I put a shirt on over it and it was hot. When it came time for the second practice and the race I didn't wear anything under or over it and it was really comfy. It is made out of a mesh material and once you get going it is almost like not having a shirt on at all, the breeze really gets in there. The thing is really paded and you almost feel invincible with all that padding on, it is also really adustable and once under way I didn't notice it at all. The only thing I don't really like is the way it looks. It makes you look huge, and I am already a big guy. I think it is worth the $180 dollars seeing as how regular chest protector is almost a hundred anyway. If anyone wants more detailed info just ask.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
tyesai said:
The track was 1.2 miles in length, is that long for a MX track? Alot of people seemed to think it was big.

Congratulations on your first race! I think the norm for MX tracks over here is a bit over a mile, which puts the lap times into the 2 minute plus range.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
Thanks for the few replies. I am going to do it again. I think I am going to practice alot at this particular track and hold out for their next MX. I have already went a few times out and feel alot better and am clearing alot more of the jumps. I just have a few sections to work on then maybe I won't get beat/beat up so bad. Anyway it was a good experience and for a day I was a hero at work, at least around the other riders for giving it a try. Even some people who have no clue as to what we do wanted to hear my story as lame as it was. The next time out I am going to finish both heats and try to be more relaxed. When we went riding Tues I went around the track much faster than on Sun and wasn't nearly as tired after 4 laps as I was after the 1'st on Sun. I know I was trying way to hard, sometimes slow is faster than balls out.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Tyesai,
Congradulations on your first race! :cool: What track did you race at?

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
Highway 89 Race Way. It used to be pretty nasty out there, but the old man has done alot of work to it. Alot of people still don't like it. A bunch of us from work keep trying to get out to the Sherwood track but it is always closed for one reason or another when we get the chance to ride. Including tommorrow. We have one or two guys that ride quads so sometimes it makes it limited on were we want to go.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Tyesai,
I've been meaning to tell ya, that's a hell of a post, great read. I felt like I was right there with ya. There just isn't much to say behind that except keep it up and keep 'em coming!

kawierider68

Oct 15, 2002
89 Raceway

I ride 89 alot. Ronnie has done alot for that track now that he gave it some attention. Alot of people still moan and groan about it. But some people just do that becuase they can. If you ask me.. for 10 bucks and have all that riding area. You can't beat it. Just watch out for the horses.lol. Its a fun place to go. Sherwood is great too... alot of the big guys go there. So thats why I stay away until I get back up to par. Maybe one of these weekends I'll catch ya out at 89.

Chris

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom