hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
Yesterday was my 1st ride on my newly acruired Yamaha WR250F (again, thanks Wes, awesome bike). It has been approximately 19 years since I have really ridden a dirt bike on the trails. Awesome fun. The bike handled great (to the extent of what I know great is) and I didn't lay it over once. There was a lot of snow, mud, sand, rocks and narrow ruts in the trails, but I was able to manage. The guy I went riding with has a KTM 380, and has been doing this for a season. Coming from the rock crawling world, the activity of driving is not to strenous on the body. But riding the bike was really wiping me out. In the first 30 minutes, I was really sucking wind. After that I started to get into a groove and really enjoy the ride, jumps and....missing the cactus.

I must say, I'm so very happy that I made an investment in some Tech 6 boots, and was especially happy as I accidently slid through some Cholla cactus.

This was the 1st time I have had quality boots, and while at first they seemed like stiff ski boots, by the end of the ride, they were feeling good and flexible.

I found that the WR240F has plenty of power to haul my fat but around. I need to get some more time in the saddle before I start adjusting the rebound and compression, but initial thoughts are that the compression needs to be adjusted for my weight; fat boy.

At any rate, it was a blast and I'm very happy to be back in the saddle creating a roost. :cool:

Question for you all;

Can anybody recommend some good trail pants that won't break the bank? My budy has some pants that appeared to have ballastic materical, they looked very tough.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Moose, Thor, Fox & MSR all make good pants that will last. I've never had cheap gear last which makes it more expensive in the long run. You might try used as well. Post WTB in the gear section and you might luck out. I know I have some stuff I need to put out there.

hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
cool, thanks for the tips. I'll check out the info.

Patman, what do you have available?

hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
Wow, that DennisKirk guy has some great stuff on his Outlet site.
I picked up a Thor Core S5 pants for 38 bucks, and a set of Scott 89x TurboFlow Anti-Fog Goggles for 34 bucks. Since its still cold out, and I'm wearing a jacket while riding, I'm going to wait on the jersey.
I have a very large knot on my right knee from a previous accident. So, this morning I picked up some A* shin/knee guards. When that knot gets hit, I become crippled for a good 5 minutes, very painful.

Anyhow, good prices, and I'm getting closer to getting better outfitted.

ecy063

Sep 15, 2005
Isn't that first ride a total rush. I remember mine about 2 years ago it was like getting a second chance at life. Congrats!

hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
Yeah, it was a rush alright. What I recall most vividely was the snow on the north side of the hills, and nearly dumping the bike as I was sliding down hill. :whoa:

In another incident, I stopped at the bottom of a hill. The trail has snow and a rut where the water was draining down through. I dropped 1st gear and slowly started to move up the trail. I was moving fast enough that I didn't have to push the bike, but slow enough that I need to use my legs for balance on the ground. Basically, with my feet dragging on each side of the bike, I kept just enough throttle to keep the bike going, but not too much to spin the tire and loose traction. :ohmy:

Pretty crazy for a first ride in many years.

With this past snow storm, I think my chances of riding this weekend are pretty slim.

mongial

Oct 28, 2006
This winter has proven to be one of the better winters that us New Mexicans have had in a long time! Sucks for riding but we need it!

hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
Indeed, we do need it. I was hoping the snow would melt off quiclkly so I could grab some dirt. There is a small section of play land close to my house. I have been keeping my eye on it for some time now, and will continue to watch it for dirt patches showing up.

I feel the need for dirt!

Top Bottom