1ton diesel vans, and cargo trailers

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
In the next few months I'll be purchasing a new one-ton diesel extended van and a cargo trailer.
We've had extremely good luck with the '97 GMC Savana one-ton 6.5L turbo diesel extended van, it's got 700k of highway miles on it and aside from tires and fuel, it hasn't cost over a thousand dollars in repairs. Still runs like new. A little diesel fuel conditioner every tank and it's been bulletproof.

I know that the 6.5 diesel is not known to be an excellent engine, and in a way I think that we got lucky with this one..

It's going to come down to a 2002 GMC or a 2002 Ford E350 powerstroke. My only concern is this van will be acquiring massive amounts of highway miles over the next 5 years, and fuel economy is a major factor in the decision. What kind of fuel mileage does the powerstroke get, in comparison to the 6.5?

Reliability is also a huge concern, we've had good luck with GMC trucks in the past.. Will a Ford van hold up for this many miles? The miles will be all highway, most of the route is steep, twisty and unforgiving two lane so it will spend most of its time between 50 and 60mph, with severe weather.

I'll be the primary driver, so comfort is also an issue. I really like the '97 GMC, and the '02 is very similar. I put 100k on a '99 Ford E350, and didn't care much for the interior. I know they changed the interior in '00 and it's much nicer, but I've only sat in one with the 5.4L and if I'm not mistaken, the console is different/bigger on a diesel. I know it's bigger on the GMC, but it's still tucked away nicely and the GMC has tons of legroom. At the time (97) the GMC was the most comfortable interior on the market, by far. I haven't been able to compare the new ones, has anyone else?

If Dodge would put the cummins in their vans, that would be in consideration too.. But they don't, so it's not.

My main concern is what kind of fuel mileage can the powerstroke get in comparison to the 6.5? Are there any reliability issues with the Ford vans? The '99 I drove was excellent for the first 100k but that's only 1/7th of what will be required.

Also, a 6x12 enclosed trailer will be used as well. Wells Cargo has an excellent reputation so I'm leaning towards them, but I'm considering them all. do you get better bang for the buck with any competing brands?

This setup will be used for work, and for riding on the weekends.

Any insight? I'd be interested in trying the Ford E350 if it doesn't have any major drawbacks. One major bonus the GMC has going for it is the longer wheelbase in the extended versions.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Holy crappin' crap! What on earth are you doing? Making runs to & from Columbia? ;) That's roughly 384 miles a day!

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Actually, my mistake, I worded that bad.. That's 700,000kms not miles. We use the term miles loosely in Canada.
700,000 kms = 435,000 miles. It's approx. a 300 mile, 500km round trip, 6 days a week hauling mail for Canada Post.
We've actually got two routes, one that's been using the '97 GMC van (which is being replaced really soon), which meets our '01 Peterbilt 5ton on it's route to the Kamloops, BC Canada Post distribution center. Basically, it's a small contracted trucking company for Canada Post hauling bulk mail.

It works out nice for me, as the hours are great for riding/racing.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Do the new GM vans even use the 6.5 diesel anymore? The trucks scrapped the old detroit 6.5 and switched to the Isuzu duramax.

The ford diesel is a descendent of the international/harvester 7.3 used in combines and other farm equipment since before time. The powerstroke will serve you well with mileage figures between the cummins and the 6.5 but will be the lowest if the 6.5 is replaced by the duramax. The powerstroke is a more advanced design than the 6.5 you had.

The duramax is made by Isuzu, has aluminum heads, and is a fairly new release. It comes mated to an allison 5 speed automatic tranny.

If it were me and the engine was all that I was concerned with... I would go with the ford for the sake of dependability and reputation. You drive a lot of "miles" in isolated places, your engine should be dependable.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Yes, unfortunately GMC/Chevrolet are not putting the Duramax in their van bodies yet. I guess they want to get rid of their 6.5 inventory. It's really a shame.. If they did indeed put the duramax in the vans I wouldn't have any doubts about buying one.

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
Originally posted by Cam Mitchell
Yes, unfortunately GMC/Chevrolet are not putting the Duramax in their van bodies yet. I guess they want to get rid of their 6.5 inventory. It's really a shame.. If they did indeed put the duramax in the vans I wouldn't have any doubts about buying one.
GM isn't trying to get rid of all remaining 6.5's... The new allison trans that comes with the duramax won't fit under the floor of the vans or the suburbans. :confused: That's the word I got from the local dealer:silly:

dmp437

Aug 1, 2001
The new Duramax has "issues", don't buy it. The Allison tranny also has issues (visualize gernade with the pin pulled). Around this area (a GM town) the older GM vans are bringing a premium because no one can stand the looks of the new one from the Wentzville, MO plant. The Powerstroke is bulletproof with proper care and will last at least as long as anything GM ever made, or is likely to make. If you can hang out till the '03's come out the 4R100 trannies in the Ford's are going to be replaced with a 5 speed auto, the 5R100.

As far as a superior trailer, Featherlight is at the top of the heap, both in quality and in price. The trailer is for the most part totally aluminum (hence the name) and is very easy to tow. Construction is top notch with high attention to detail.

Top Bottom