canuckjgc

Nov 8, 2007
Hi, 37 year old, 5'10 200lbs, MX'er in my early days, out of the sport for over 10 years, looking to get back into it again. I will ONLY be riding trails, longish ones to get to some good fishing spots.

My question is this: any other older farts like me ride 2 strokes on trails (deactivated logging roads and trails mainly)?

I'm thinking of a CR125 for ease of maintenance and less cost on the used market, but my main concern is the ability to ride slow on technical sections and have enough fuel for a 4 hour ride. The tanks seem pretty small these days :)

Thoughts and advice greatly appreciated!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
One of my best friends and riding buddies rides a 2000 CR250 on trails all the time and does extremely well. He is about your age.

Another friend of mine rides a KDX200 and he is in his 40's.

A CR125 is a very capable machine but it depends on your skill level as they can be a bit of a pain to keep the power up with in certain conditions.

I love my thumper 250F but I would have no problem owning a 2-stroke again if all I did was woods riding. Probably a KTM 300 (the 2008's come with e-start).

Good luck and have fun!
Ivan

canuckjgc

Nov 8, 2007
Thanks. What about riding time? If I can get a lot more riding time on one tank of gas I'd go 4 stroke --- perhaps a TTR230 which are very cheap on the used market.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
It depends on skill level when considering a CR125 or TTR230. The TTR230 is much more friendly and competent in the woods. When I go riding in West Virginia where there are a lot of hills, rocks, roots and nasty stuff the woman on the CRF230 is right there with us hauling arse (the CRF230 is the Honda counterpart to the TTR230).

As for riding time... you can get an IMS or Clarke aftermarket oversized tank for the CR125 if you are worried about mileage.

Ivan

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
If you really want a two stroke for trail riding, look at the KDX200. Its made just for that. The only problem I see with it in your situation is the gas mileage thing. I definitely get much worse gas mileage on my KDX as I do on my four stroke XR250. Two stroke just burn it quicker.

So, if I were in your position, I'd either get a KDX200 and get an oversized tank for it, or go with a four stroke. Something like the TTR-230 seems maybe too small for you, but I don't really know how much riding you plan to do or how serious you are about it. I think you'd fit great on an XR250 or TTR-250.

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
Great advive above don't buy 125 for the woods unless you are a very aggressive rider

D

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
KDX.......lots of used ones out there, reasonably priced, dependable as a rock, big list of aftermarket goodies, you'll need a 200 or a 250 for your 200lbs.

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
My riding buddy is 37 and rides a cr250 and he will prolly never own a 4-stroke

the maintence is so much cheaper and easier plus they sound cool heh and smell greeeeaaaat?

canuckjgc

Nov 8, 2007
Thanks for the comments. I think the 4 stroke folks have won me over -- as much as I like the 2 stroke sound and power, I don't think it will have the trail manners and range I need.

canuckjgc

Nov 8, 2007
After reading tons of reviews it seems a 2003/2004 KX250 is as close to a 4 stroke as a 2 stroke can get -- anyone ride this bike in the woods? Good deals on the used market as well.

cc182222

Nov 8, 2007
KX250 - Close gear ratio, hard hit on the high end powerband, not what I would look for in a woods bike. I am 43 and fairly new to riding (woods trails only, no track for me). My 2003 KDX220 with a FMF Gnarly woods pipe is a torque monster, is hard to stall, and will lug thru the hills and rocks here in the east TN mountains. VERY 4 stroke-like power down low. It falls kinda flat on the top end with this woods pipe, but rippin' top end is not what my non-aggressive, old man riding style is about. After testing several MX 2 strokers (too snappy for me, poor low end grunt) and 4 strokers (love the low end power, don't love the price or maint. cost), last month I bought my KDX with the pipe for $1800.

BTW: they tell me my KDX has 5th & 6th gears, but I never use them. I may be slow, but I always get there and have a blast along the way! :laugh:

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2007
canuckjgc, KX250 can be a good woods bike with a flywheel weight, Gnarly pipe, different gearing, all the protective equipment, Vforce3 reed cage and little odds and ends. A KDX would be a much better bike for the woods. If you can look for a used KTM 250EXC.

canuckjgc

Nov 8, 2007
Great advice thanks. The dilemma I keep facing is that 2 stroke 250's are the cheapest used bikes in my area.

What is the rough cost for a dealer to re-gear and add flywheel weight to a KX or YZ 250 2 stroke?

Feb 26, 2006
The KDX is a good way to go for off road riding. The have great bottom end and still have more beans than the 125. I am 6'3" and 200 lbs and my 200 caries me anywhere I want to go. I also have a KX 250 with a flywheel weight and a FMF pipe that donimates the trails and it is really good on gas. I have the stock, very small tank on it and I can ride most of the day without filling up. I have found that the TT-R is also a very good bike, but sometimes dosen't have enough power.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
canuckjgc,

I'm a 50.y.o., 245 lb. woods rider, (now,) who recently (3 yrs.) ago returned to the dirt, after 20 years. I've been riding YZ125's so far.

For your money, you'll be hard pressed to find a better bike, all around, to start out with, than a KDX 200/220. :cool:

That being said, don't sweat it too much! If you have fun, you'll likely be buying something different than whatever you buy now, after a while, anyway. :nod:

So, get your hands on something you can ride right now. :ride: Pick a project bike for your next bike.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Why have maintenance costs? Get a good used XR250 from 1996 or newer and be done with it. Straight gas, adjust the valves if it takes more than 2 or 3 stabs to start or you just have nothing else to do for 20 minutes. It will run for several eons after the sun burns out provided you put gas in it. There is plenty of performance potential available for low cost if you decide you need it.

canuckjgc

Nov 8, 2007
Great points guys. I'd like a KDX but they are rarely on the market and expensive around here for some reason.

I think it will come down to the best deal I can find. As I mentioned the 205 2t are the cheapest -- I'm looking at a lightly used 2003 KX250 for $2500 (cdn). There's no KDX even close to that. I may go 2 t after all :)

dgoetz

Nov 12, 2007
Anything but a 125 mx bike

There is a good reason why you can't find many used KDX's, people don't get rid of them as often as MX bikes because they work so well for trail riding and MX bikes in a couple of years are obsolete for racing. Mx bikes for us older riders (riding since 1958 and every year since) don't make a good choice, 1st gear not low enough, not wide enough power band, not wide enough gear spacing, suspension too stiff, not compliant enough for slow speed trail riding, not enough flywheel weight. I am 62 and ride a 07 KTM xcw 525, It has more power than I can use but every bit of it is predictable and usable.
A Kdx is a great choice and so would be any small bore 4-stroke

Jan 3, 2007
Try looking for a XR250, XR400, Older Yamaha IT range bike, Yamaha WR200, WR250 2 strokes, or a KDX. They are going to be the best bikes for the money. Also, just be pacient, because good deals can be had all the time @****.

HAYSHAKER170

Nov 17, 2005
5' 9" 185lbs 39 yrs old and I ride a 1997 Cr250 and I love it. I have nothing to compare it to except a 1972 Kawasaki 100 Enduro. It is more bike than I will ever use. We do trails in the Atlanta, Mi area. IMHO, the best bike to have is the one you can drop on its side without shedding a tear, but is reliable enough to get ya back to camp. Enjoy whatever you get!

Top Bottom