speedway17

Nov 12, 2007
Another option is to buy a larger fuel tank if you go with a two stroke. I have a 3.2 gal on my CR, it goes quite a ways but I eventually still worry about running out. I might get 4 hrs out of it. I got the CR because it was half the price of a similar aged CRF. Gnarly FMF seems to give it ok low end. I'm considering a flywheel weight. As for technical sections, it helps if you are quick with the clutch to raise eng.rpms

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
KDX, either 220 or 200. Reasonable handling, good power, and as reliable as a brick. Has a big gas tank, (though not as big as my RMX). ;) Parts prices are reasonable, especially compared to some other brands. Pretty good for everything except serious track racing. :nod:

Most used ones will already have a pipe and silencer. Some are really tricked out, with everything you could ever want.

Check around the internet. There are good deals on brand new leftover KDX's around.

Rotor

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
I say xr250, your too tall for a 230 and too heavy for the suspension of the 230's and if your carrying fishing gear and other stuff you probably want a smooth power delivery like and xr or air cooled four stroke. Or a kdx 200 would fit the bill. Suzuki makes a dr350 that you can consider as well. Now is the time to buy in my opinion, bikes are priced low during the holidays IMO.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
2 strokes for life said:
The 230F is an amazing bike. If that engine was in a 150RB frame i would buy it for my next hare Scramble bike.
20051017159d51c2.jpg

You gonna buy it? :cool:

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
Yeah, that Junior X is a sweet looking bike. Perfect mini trail machine for a bigger rider and the ultimate trail bike for a shorter or younger rider. But they're just so damn expensive. :bang:

Jan 3, 2007
XMotoX, cheaper then say a KTM 530EXC-R. I would much rather have something different then another production bike or main stream bike. Would like to have a Husqvarna, Gasgas, TM, Sherco, Beta, Aprillia, or Husaberg befor a big 5 bike.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
Oh, I totally agree. For off-road enduro riding, I'd love to have something like either a Husqvarna WR250 or a Gas Gas EC300. I'd take either of those over one of the fives' enduros.

Garbie

Nov 17, 2007
Here is my two cents. I am 31 6'5" and 285lbs, pretty heavy rider. Ride a 99 CR250R. All of my riding is trail riding, sometimes a little goofing around in a pit, but never any motocross. I run a Steahly flywheel, skidplate and hand protectors. Never have much trouble riding trails. Recently switched to a 51 rear tooth sprocket, (50 stock) mainly to help on the trails. I rarely run it full out in top gear so I don't need the top end. The gear changed helps, but am thinking of going maybe another tooth again. I also have a big tank for the longer range. Its a Clarke tank 12.7 litre i think. I can get about 110km on one tank at about 40-50 mph. Riding trails it gets way better gas mileage, unfourtunately never clocked it. Rode today for about 4 hours and used approx 3 litres. I have kept stock suspension even though i am pretty heavy and it works well for me on the trails, though I don't think I could air it out too big. Most of the trails I ride are pretty tight, like 2nd gear, sometimes hit 3rd on straight stretch. I ride with four stroke guys (WR450) and have seen definite advantages to them as well. They get way better gas mileage, perhaps double. They are more powerful. They seem to better down low in the rpm. My friend is about 15-20 mph faster on top end, which means he could easily gear his bike lower to be way better for trail riding. I would say that is his big draw back right now. Obviously a rebuild is gonna be a huge difference between 2 and 4 stroke, so maybe that should be a consideration too. So my opinion is that a 2 stroke 250 can be made into a excellent trail bike, with some aftermarket parts, obviously there are better bike that are specifically made for trail, but if the price is right i don't see any problem with a 2 stroke. Hope that helps.

Higgsy

Mar 23, 2005
If you use to moto-x before I don't think you would be happy buying a TTR. If your worried about gas mileage on a 2 stroke you could install an aftermarket tank. They usually add an extra gallon compared to stock. I am almost the same age you are and I bought a 96 Suzuki RMX 250 for trail riding last spring. I haven't had a bike since I was 18. And I am having a blast getting back into riding again. If it's more open areas your going to be riding look into a KDX it has a 6 speed transmission. I can ride all day in the woods with my RMX and not worry about running out of gas and it has the stock tank.

ropethebike

Oct 24, 2006
+1 on the XR 250..........really, thats what you need.......you won't need to re-build it in your lifetime and maintenance is minimal.

If they are too much $$$ in Canada, have a friend pick you up one down in the states and come down here and pick it up.....

I ride a 250 2-stroke and that would DEF. NOT be my choice to ride old loggin roads back to my favorite fishing hole....

just my $0.01 worth
rtb

jcarautos1

Dec 3, 2007
I ride a 98 yz250. no special mods just a desert tank for more fuel but it does great on the track and on trails. some of the trails i ride are very thin and tough. It has plenty of power and can bogg down. Just gotta rap it out every once in a while to clean the plug. Over all a 2 stroke will do what you need when you need and still get have enough fuel. Just that the 4 stroke do get better fuel mileage.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
I ride an old wr on the trails and absoloutely love it.It has a huge tank on it,Running out of gas has never been a problem.I love the wide range gearing,1st is the perfect speed for negotiating finnicky tight spots on the trail,and in 5th it will leave almost any race bike in the dust,nice for the open logging roads.And the powerband is more predictable than that of a race bike,and a little smoother.Another thing I like about the wr is that it can putt along fairly slowly without fouling the spark plug too bad,but can keep up with just about anything.I also find that it is virtually indestructible,and very reliable.But ,one drawback,if you want a real good looking,eyecatching bike,an old wr isn't it.Acually,the wr is a yz with a bigger tank,a kickstand and wider range gearing.

I am a fairly small young rider,but my dad used to ride this bike a lot,and he was about 42,6'6''.The bike looked a little small for him,but pretty much every other bike he's ever sat on does too.He trail rode the wr and loved it,he would go out with his friends and ride like a psycho,then come home and putt along the trails with my mom,and now the bike is mine.So that goes to show just how versatile the wr is.I am not sure what the newer ones are like,never tried one,but I know many hardcore trail riders who swear by their old wr's.

I hope this helped a little,good luck finding a bike,

250girl

jdon88

Apr 23, 2004
There have been a lot of nice bikes mentioned here but I 2nd the Yamaha WR200. I have one and it is great for trail riding and hill climbing. It does lack on accleration which hurts when you need it for jumps or holeshots. I put a smaller front sprocket and Boyesen 2 stage reed valve on mine which helps some for the acceleration but I still can't keep up with my 250 buddies so I'm rebuilding a RM250. But for control on tight trails and steep rocky trails the WR is awesome. There aren't too many Wr200s around (I have 2 now) but if you can find one get it, its reliable and easy to maintain.

Top Bottom