2-Stroke motocross bikes + loose suspension??? HELP!

yz125_racer

Jan 8, 2007
Hey guys, just a quick question for ya's. On any modern motocross bike (whether they be a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke), should there be any movement in the rear suspension?

On my 2001 YZ 125, i can grab the rear shocker under the seat and actually twist it from side to side. There is slight movement there, but nothing too concerning. The shock is power fastened and will not move, except for the mentioned twisting.

Should i order new top and bottom bushes for it ,and hope it will secure firmly, or is there actually meant to be some movement there? Most of my mates' bikes have slight movement in their suspension, but not as much as i have. So guys, any advise would be greatly appreciated, as i don't want to spend $110 on something that doesn't neccessarily need to be fixed. Cheers! ;)

freakystyley

Nov 27, 2006
most likely the brass bushings - if they are OEM since 2001 they are most likely enlarged and need to be replaced. If there is a lot of movement in the rear it may mess up the suspension angle and cause a lot of stress on the shock shaft and blow the seals. might as well take the opportunity to lube up the linkage too while working back there.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
The top bushing is like a heim ball joint. So it is designed to move side to side. Then you have to remember the shaft will twist. Thus the appearance that the whole shock is loose.

You will want to with the subframe off the bike and the bike off the ground, grab the rear wheel and see if there is any play in that bearing up and down. If there is than replace it.

Top Bottom