May 1, 2007
I am trying to setup my suspension a little bit better on my YZ 250. I am a big guy at 6'4" 250lbs and I make is squat quite a bit in the back. The rear shock also seems to be slightly squeaky sometimes. How do I know when it is time for a rebuild? It is not really bad(blown shock) and it doesn't leak at all. Also, where can I get a new rear shock for someone of my weight? I have not tried adjusting the tension all of the way yet but im pretty sure it is not going to make enough of a difference. Im guessing it has heavier oil in the front because the forks seem to be alright with me on it. I have not bottomed out with it yet and do not race or have any reason for a properly setup suspension but im sure riding around on a squated bike is not a good thing either. I am not sure how much squat a properly setup bike has but I probably have 3-5in in the back and 2-3in the front with me on it. One last thing, what could the squeak be? Would it be the bearing or the shock its self? Thanks a lot, I have never adjusted a bike's suspension and have no idea what to do or where I can find parts for such an old bike.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
hi, i had an 89' yz250wr and it was a great bike..... anyways in regards the suspension due to the age of the bike and the fact that generally old bikes have had a lot of owners who havent been too hot with maintainence. i would recomend the forks are rebuilt with new seals,wipers, and if you can stretch the budget new springs suitable for your weight. same thing with the shock as the original fork and shock springs wouldnt have been right for your weight anyway and now they have sagged out over the years they really want replacing.
parts for older bikes are always hard to find but check on auction sites (*bay) etc..
the squeaking noise when the suspension is compressed could be due to seized or collapsed swingarm,shock or linkage bearings..... best pull em out and take a look. this is the problem i had with my old yz, needed a lot of work due to the age and condition etc..
good luck. :cool:

Top Bottom