johncon23

Jan 15, 2009
Hi ive been doing some reasearch i have ownd 2 strokes my hole life been riding abought 10 years+.Im 175 pounds and i ride a 2003 cr 250r its a great bike lots of power.I am trying to figure out if its worth it to buy a 450 crf.I dont like the fact its a 4 speed.But is there anyone who can verify its worth the buy? :yikes:

johncon23

Jan 15, 2009
I have been doing reasearch to find out more on 450s but i would like some of you guys to help me out hear if you can.I have rode 2 strokes 10+ years.Im 23 now and i ride a 2003 cr 250r also an 1987 yz 250.My question is is it worth it to buy a 450 and will it still give me a rush on a 4 stroke like a 2 stroke does please any info helps.

I ride tracks alot and sometimes just go ride trails. :ride:

Herrmanator8

Jan 15, 2009
I have been riding two strokes my whole life and I over the last year had been riding a yz250f. it was a good experience but i got extremely bored of the 4 stroke so i just bought a 2006 kx250. The 450's have quite a bit of kick but nothing i would rather have than a two stroke. my new kx250 is just the most amazing and smooth bike I have ever ridden and i will have it for many many years.

johncon23

Jan 15, 2009
Ty all very much for info i didnt think id want a bull**** 4 stroke and yes i was defently thinkin 500 for trails an fun and just stick to my good old 2003 cr for track use ty all again very helpful i think ill have to go out get me a kx 500

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
I had the EXACT same question recently when trying to decide if I wanted to take the 4t plunge. Everyone I know that rides says that the 4t's are monsters but so are big bore 2t's. If I raced a lot, I'd probably get a 4t but I'm a weekend warrior and ride a lot of trails but mainly just like to have fun on my bike. And after hearing about the cost for repairs on the 4t's, I'm really turned off by them. I just think a lot of the younger riders who dont have much experience on anything other than a thumper will side with the 4t. I even hear a lot of people complain about the sudden hits in power on 2 strokes, fouled plugs and whatnot but for us guys who grew up riding them, theres no substitution. I love the crazy power band and if you know how to ride a 2stroke, you can even put around on it just like a 4t.
So after getting rid og my 02 YZ250, I'm going bigger and probably going to be getting a KTM300xc once the 2009's are available around here. thats what i have my heart set on right now anyway.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
That whole plug fouling issue on two strokes is such a crock of bull pooh. Jet it right and you'll never foul a plug.

And the whole '500s will put you in the emergency room' story is BS too. A little throttle control goes a long, long way.

CRkev

Mar 19, 2004
If you get a 500 just be extremely careful with it, they are POWERHOUSES!!!!! show it respect and learn it slowly and it'll take care of you....

OriginalRider

Nov 23, 2008
A good rider on the cr250 would whoop a crf450 everyday.Depends what you like.I pick braappppp every time braappppp is a 2stroke by the way.

shouldabeen

Dec 20, 2008
it all depends on rider but somtimes a track is big enough to let the 450 pull it will make the gap on a track a little bigger but thats no often. I see most people with way more bike than talent I race my 250f in the over 30 expert and my compition is on 450 and 250 (2-strk) but not even a 500 would matter if you have no skills!!!

abitiseb

Feb 19, 2009
It been a year now that I have a KX 500 and I would not sell it for anything.I still waiting to find a machine that can keep up with it in the open trail! But just keep your CR 250 for the tight stuff you will be glad if you do. That why I still have my KDX. By the way I dont know if it is because a lot of people don't do there maintnance properly but I saw a lot of 4 stroke with problems.

topp

Mar 21, 2009
too bad 2 strokes were banned for street use in the 80s due to there emissions ...my dual sport (4 stroke) yamaha 250 probly sucks compared to most dirt bikes but i do like the sound better than a 2 stroke weed wacker sound

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
I had this same dilemma a few weeks back. I was urging to get another bike and have been riding 2-stroke MX bikes exclusively since 1991 - had bad experiences with 4-strokes when I was a kid (they where too low on power and clunky handling compared to my friends 2-stroke MX bikes that gave me that "roller coaster thrill ride" rush I just couldn't get enough of and didn't have to worry about breaking a vertebrae off a two foot jump, lol.)

I was so close to having a brand new 07 KX250 leftover shipped to me, then I found a deal (or as I should say, steal) for invoice out the door on a leftover 07 KX450f and so far with a mix of trail riding and a little MX track today I couldn't be happier with it. It actually re-sparked my riding hobby more than I thought - I've been riding it sat & sun every weekend where my last bike (04 KX250) just seemed to sit in the shed for months at a time - I already can't wait to take it out riding tomorrow. Just the fact that it's different and not the same old KX250 I owned like six times in a row just makes riding much more exciting and interesting, lol.

It's a 4-stroke which in the past I always hated (damned parents wouldn't get me a bike I wanted until 91 when they finally gave in - so I rode from 86 to 91 on crap I absolutely hated and wound up riding friends bikes more then my own, lol, I remember giving my one friend like 15 nintendo games just to borrow his KX80 for a weekend, hehe) - but anyway it's not the retarded DR's or XR's my stupid parents used to buy me when I was I kid that I hated so much. This new MX 4-stroke is just a rocketship! No boring power here (or handling for that matter) on the 07 KX450f! And the handling... I'm telling ya it's got to be one of the, if not thee smoothest handling bikes I've ever owned or ridden since 1986.

I honestly didn't know what to expect from it. Reading about the engine braking how you have to change your riding style etc... but to be honest with you, I don't feel I had to change my style at all. First jump I hit I stayed perfectly level, nothing felt out of the ordinary... People said they're too powerfull? (the 450s) but it feels just spot on perfect to me. I really couldn't ask for a better and more fun to ride bike. The bottom end torque is fun for lugging around lazy man style on the trails, but then you can go on the MX track and go balls to the wall F1 style....very versatile feeling machine, both power and handling wise.

I thought there was no way I was going to ever be happy with a 4-stroke which I grew up as a kid hating, but I'm glad I decided to try one of the new MX machines out instead of getting another of the same thing that I hate to admit, but was simply getting totally bored with.... As far as the 2-stoke is concerned, I would like to see both bikes sell so that way you could switch back and forth when you got bored of one or the other, lol. :nod:

johncon23 said:
Hi ive been doing some reasearch i have ownd 2 strokes my hole life been riding abought 10 years+.Im 175 pounds and i ride a 2003 cr 250r its a great bike lots of power.I am trying to figure out if its worth it to buy a 450 crf.I dont like the fact its a 4 speed.But is there anyone who can verify its worth the buy? :yikes:

Well I didn't like the 4-speed when I took a quick spin up and down the abandon train tracks with two of my friends YZF450 and 06 KX450f. I definitely missed a 5th gear for wide open runs and they definitely felt like they wound out too quick and I kept looking for a 5th gear, but my 07 KX450f is perfect with it's 5 speed. I would say get a 450 with 5 speed and try it out. You'll really never know until you have one of your own to try out real good.
icon12.gif

gwcrim said:
That whole plug fouling issue on two strokes is such a crock of bull pooh. Jet it right and you'll never foul a plug.

And the whole '500s will put you in the emergency room' story is BS too. A little throttle control goes a long, long way.

Well said. :cool:

yog22

Mar 20, 2007
ya i'd deffinately go with the 2 stroke. i think they are way funner to ride.. i've thought about gettin a 450 but i'm super glad i didn't. 2 strokes are awesome

Top Bottom