Riding a 2 stroke then riding a 4 stroke...how hard is it to adjust/adapt?

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
hi there. ive been doing some thinking lately and am just wondering what other people's experiences have been in terms of riding a 2 stroke dirt bike then riding a 4 stroke dirt bike or vice versa and how hard or easy they have found adjusting to 1 or the other once they have been riding either 1 for longer.
Ive mostly been on a 2 stroke and learnt on that, i have a 4 stroke as well ive ridden a tiny bit but was just wondering if i start riding the 4 stroke more compared to the 2 stroke, from others experiences, will it be harder to get back on the 2 stroke and adjust, etc? or is it much of a muchness and have others still been able to ride both equally as well?

I know the engine braking and clutch feel/friction and all that is really the only main difference in riding/feel on 4 strokes but is there anything else that is hard to adapt to on 1 or the other after riding 1 for longer periods then the other and then having to adjust?

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I know some people who can go back and forth extremely easily and others who can't ride anything but their own bike or they are uncomfortable.

I can only ride my own bike.

For me 2-strokes require a lot more body positioning and balance and I am a lazy rider so going from a 4-stroke to a 2-stroke and back really throws me off my game. I have horrible balance too and I think those with better balance can make the switch back and forth easier.

Ivan

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
thanks for the answer :)
id say im relatively a 'lazy' rider too although sometimes especially going down hill i always tend to use the correct body positioning(ass back and standing, knees bent)...so hopefully i won't have much trouble switching between them

ojasia

Mar 13, 2013
I"m the biggest critique of Mx engineering. When I'm on a 2stroke I wish I had Low end Torque/Grunt, when I'm on a 4 stroke I wish I had Top end pulllllll!!! ... Yamaha's sit to high for me feels like I'm way to high compared to the handle bars. I love the body/seating position of Hondas. But I feel like they set the Mx to the side and said here ya go. Go Play :/ When They Discontinued 2-strokes and started making a bunch of puky trail bikes and just the 450 Hoss Racer. Cant really knock on the others cause I just havent really been influenced by any of the other Makes. Just pissess me off Honda would do that to us MY .02

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
I think it makes me a better rider. I sometimes switch back and forth when we ride. Things one bike makes me work at help me to see how the other bike is easier or different. I tend to come into corners much faster on the 2s. I get lazy and use the engine braking on the 4s. So, I was able to see where I was loosing time and could improve, by gearing down on the 4s to rev it more and smooth out the engine braking.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
My experience is you steer a 4 stroke with the front wheel and a two stroke with the rear wheel. Weight distribution is a big factor in switching back and fourth. I could not utilize the power of the 450F, I loved the ease in lifting the front wheel over a rock or hole. The 2 stroke is more nimble and lets me use body English to turn. They are both fun to ride.

Top Bottom