HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Can anyone provide input (what to consider or watch out) for getting a 2 stroke up to street legal status? I only want enough to meet the bare minimum. I'm in CO, and have a '96 CR500R. The wife is pressuring me to sell the truck, so until I get room for a trailer, it'll mean a short stint on asphalt to get to the trails. Plus, I wouldn't mind seeing what a 500 will do with traction.......

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Start with your local DMV and talk to them about the requirements. They are ultimately the ones that will grant the licenseing and it helps to have them in your pocket throughout the process. Riding a two-stroke 500 on the street is a rush for sure. I spent a week in Colorado last July on my 500 and rode rocks, dirt roads, paved roads (main street through Aspen), and even a 5 mile stint on a highway. I managed to get the bike up to 85 mph before backing down. With my gearing and mods, the bike should do about 10 to 15 mph more than that, but after that experience, I really dont feel the need to do so. A little headshake goes a loooooong way.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
To be honest, I'd be surprised that you can get it registered for the street legally. It doesn't meet US specs due to the motor. Not sure how CO works but here in CA it has to be inspected and there isn't a federal sticker for emissions that gives you the OK to use on the street. Good luck

dirtbike59

Sponsoring Member
Oct 12, 2000
here in NH when i want to ride my RMX on the road i just have few requirements. 1. head light and tail light with break light. 2 a little air horn that you can buy at a boat shop. 3. last of all a mirror

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
Its a piece of cake here in Idaho. I was going to make my XR street legal so I went to talk to the people at the DMV and I brought my bike along. The lady there said the only thing I needed to add was a horn. This was an XR600 with the stock lights and dirt tires. She was even going to let me do the paperwork then without the horn, but I didnt have a motorcycle endorsement on my drivers licence so it wouldnt have done any good then. I imagine it depends on the person that inspects your bike, but now I know where to go if I ever want to get my KX legal. :p

Top Bottom