Looking for a trail bike/street legal short commuter.

MGH-PA

Apr 1, 2005
Hey there everyone. This is my first post, but I'm a long time lurker :cool: I'm considering getting back into riding, but I want to legalize my next bike to ride to all of the trails and to work when I graduate in a year (commute should be no more than 10 miles in a rural area). I understand that dual sports are the best true on road bike, but I don't like how big they are, and I want something I can rip on in the trails. I also found through my searching that it's suggest to change the gearing on the smaller 2strokes to be able to drive them at 50mph+ over periods of time. Most likely my bike will see highway use only about 5% of the time...the rest will be back roads with speed limits of 25mph to 55mph. Here's some info from the guidelines sticky:

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)

5' 11" and 165lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?

Can be aggressive, but I won't be jumping 40 footers or anything...mostly fast trails.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????

Anything...my property consists of trails and plenty of fields and my cabins have tons of access roads, so mostly trails and logging roads...plus street use exploring different areas and doing local commuting.

4) Do you have any riding experience?

Yes, I started riding around age 10 with a 74 Kawi 175. Been riding quads for a while though, want to get back on bikes.

5) Do you think you will race ?

No...maybe a few years after graduation, but this bike most likely won't see any races.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?

Depends on whether a four stroke or two stroke. I can rebuild a top end, but won't want to mess with adjusting valves, etc on the 4strokes.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
For the fact that I will be on the street with this, I almost want to go 4 stroke for emmission reasons and noise. I do like the lightweight and simplicity of two strokes though.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?

Yes, but no KTM or Euro dealers. The Honda dealer is a ripoff, and I will be looking for used for sure in the papers and ****.

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?

Being a college student limits funds, so I'm going to say no more than $1500 or $1700.

10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I understand that my price most likely limits me to the tried and true KDX, but I'm not too sure it's even going to be able to hand 10 mile commutes with speeds in the 50s, even after regearing. I guess a 300 two stroke or 400 four stroke would be ideal, but then again, size offroad is going to be an issue.

Thanks for any help. Btw, I know I should check the local DMV about legalizing a pike in PA, but does anyone know offhand if I would even be able to title a bike here with an offroad use only designation? Since I will be buying used, most likely it won't be titled, etc.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I ride a KDX on the street a lot. My new gearing is on it's way here, but I have been running 2 teeth larger than stock in the rear for close to 2 years now on the road, I cover about 80-100 miles a week. Around 50 mph the power valve opens and the bike gets uncomfortable, but I have never had a problem with it, even running 60-65 mph for over 15 miles (damn body goes numb though). With my new gearing (going from 13-49 to 15-47) I should be able to cruise much more comfortably.

As for getting one converted in PA, I have no idea. Mines plated in Michigan, and the dealer down here has me scared to even try and change my tag over, says there is no way it'll fly (I recently moved).

With your budget any dual sport bike will be tough, depending on how strict your laws are. If you try to convert a dirt bike you might need full lighting, DOT tires, mirror, horn, etc, plus registration and insurance. You'll probably have at least $500 tied up right there, even piecing things together cheap. But at the same time I don't see you being happy on an old XR250 either trying to ride aggressivly.

My advice would be to save up, and after you graduate (and have more money) look into a real dual sport bike, the new Husqvarna's. They will probably be the most dirt oriented dual sport out there for some time.

Top Bottom