XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
Since I've been saving for a dirt bike, I've been looking mainly at 4-strokes and ruled out 2-strokes because I thought they were strictly racing bikes. But, I realized alot of people ride 2-strokes and aren't into motocross or racing. They ride them on trails like people ride 4-strokes. And I heard that small 2-stroke bikes, being so lightweight and nimble, are a lot of fun to ride.

So, should I rule out 2-strokes from my bike possibilities since I'm looking for a bike to ride fields and trails instead of MX? Are they good bikes for beginners? All opinions welcome. Thanks.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
So, should I rule out 2-strokes from my bike possibilities since I'm looking for a bike to ride fields and trails instead of MX?
Nope!

Hooner33

Jul 17, 2006
This could be talked about for days and days for what you should do, but I would like you to know that I ride a 250 2 smoker only in trails and fields. I love the low end power that whips you around like a rag doll. Then hit it up with a taller gear and you'll flying through out the trails like a raped ape. :p
The two strokes SHOULD NEVER be ruled out, ever. :nod:

lxlzerolxl

Sep 6, 2006
yep i jsut sold my yz125 (2stroke) and got a yz250 (another 2 stroke jsut bigger) an im LOVING IT!!! so glad i didnt get a 250f or something.

and i learnt to ride on the yz125

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
Thanks guys. So a 2-stroke is good for a beginner? I was just always under the impression that they were for more advanced riders for the fact that they are so quick and most pro MXers use them if they ride 125's or 250's.

That opens up my options a bit also. Now, I can look at CR's, YZ's, RM's, and KX's. Do you think I should try the 80cc or 85's instead of a 125? 125's seem a little powerful for what I want...

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
A 2-stroke is fine for a beginner. A buddy of mine bought a CR 125 this past summer. He had never owned a dirtbike before and after riding it a few times he could handle the bike very easily.

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
It really depend on type of trails riding you planning for if it just putting around then a 2-stroke is not a good idea.
2-stroke is fine for most beginner any stock 85's has power output of 25hp give you a 3 time more hosepower at same size cc vs a 4-stroke which has about 6hp, 2-stroke engines fire once every revolution, while 4-stroke engines fire once every other revolution but there one bad side to 2-stroke and that is there powerband kicking so acceration is hard and fast.
In my book 2-stroke have high-maintnance then 4-stroke engines but 2-stroke engines are chaeper to rebiuld some times all depends on what gose wrong.
Something that most people forget about is that 2-stroke need mix oil in the gas and it very good idea to get a blue or green jerry fuel jug not common red ones that way you know which is which and not make a error in fuel up what was to in the lawn mover like dear old DAD did in my days so keep that in mind as well also Keep in mind that 2-stroke are not very fuel efficiently, yielding far fewer miles per gallon and you guest it there gas hug.

Last edited:

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
I can ride just about all day on my CR250 on one tank of gas. I dont agree they are gas hogs. Your going to get a certain amount of HP for the fuel you burn. If you compare HP to HP you will not find much difference between a 2 or 4 stoke.

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
Hooner33 said:
This could be talked about for days and days for what you should do, but I would like you to know that I ride a 250 2 smoker only in trails and fields. I love the low end power that whips you around like a rag doll. Then hit it up with a taller gear and you'll flying through out the trails like a raped ape. :p
The two strokes SHOULD NEVER be ruled out, ever. :nod:
Ditto that brother!

I bought my first bike a few months ago, 2002 Kawi KDX220 2 smoker and i love it. Quite abit of low end but it books when i open it up. Ive been doing alot of really technical stuff in the mountains recently and its great. Cant wait untill that Gnarly pipe.... :cool:

Mixing kind of sucks but its not bad. I get 120 miles for a 2.8 gallon tank. Not too bad IMO. Whatever you get, have fun.

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
I have to second the two stroke for trails. I also love how the power explodes and tosses you around the trail. A four stroke can "chug" and offer some snappy torque right off idle which is why most people talk about the "low end torque". Truth be told, the two stroke has just as much, but you don't get it quite as low.

I can cruise around at a higher rpm (to get closer to the power band) and it's just like a toggle switch. Snap the throttle and lookout. If you are really chuggin along at low-low-low rpms, then yes, the thumpers have more on tap. Nothing that some clutch action can't handle though. :)

And also, maintenance all depends on you. If you care about your bike, you will probably be working on it after every ride. the filter or tranny oil can never be too clean. I am either inspecting, cleaning, or adjusting something after almost every ride with my two stroke. But being a more simple motor, it is much easier to work around IMO.

Micah

P.S. There are tricks that I can do to restore low end power. They make heavier flywheels, torque reeds, torque pipe or even selective porting of the cylinder. I've ridden some VERY torquey 2 strokes, but you usually sacrifice top end power. And at this point, I'll use the clutch a little more down low, just to win the drag race on top :)

Top Bottom