2 wipeouts caused by front wheel deflecting off sm

ballistic

Jan 13, 2001
2 wipeouts caused by front wheel deflecting off small rocks

Went riding in some rocky stuff yesterday, just small rocks on the trail. On a downhill section, second gear, my front skipped 12 inches over off a baseball sized rock then tire slid and we went sideways. i slid about 10 feet through loose rock... did not get one scratch ;) The backbuster was bent a little, no problem. It suprized me the tire deflected that much?? I have 16 lbs in front tire (dont want pinch flats, lots of rocks).

It happened again in third gear an hour later :eek: This time I didnt go down (almost did) and managed to save it. What the heck? Again, a couple small rocks.

I have those speedbleeder things on top of my forks so I let the air out... WHoosh. Also took 2 clicks out on compression settings. Way better now.
Does anyone else find it important to let the pressure out of forks regularly or it screws up your supension? Every couple hours or what?

I should indicate MX-Tech revalved the forks. I have been very happy with the improved and progressive feel of the forks after the revalve, it seems they are more sensitive to the air buildup than before. Mayber I just need to release the pressure every couple hours?? Is this normal? Also i was riding at 2500 feet elevation. Try lower air pressure in tire?

Any other tips guys appreciated. I want to make sure theres no future repeat performances of what happened.

Heres a technical question: does air pressure build-up effectively increase compression only, or does it affect rebound as well?

Last edited:

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
Are you bleeding the air from the forks with the weight off the wheel (front end in the air) or while the weight of the bike is on the wheel (front end on the ground)?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
It will make the forks rebound quicker as well as its acting as a airspring-but it wont matter much.I release pressure every ride(1.5 hours)

How about going another 2 clicks softer?

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Stiffer on comp/ quicker on rebound , did you ever try a steering stabilizer? Some folks really love them for off road gnarlies .I used to ride in alot of trails with many roots and it can help there as well. Its always those little things that start you sliding out .

ballistic

Jan 13, 2001
yup i have a scotts stabilizer. it helps but not in this incident. My front tire must've hopped 12inches sideways. When i released the air it seemed a LOT came out.

Mephisto

Jul 1, 2002
i have a kx-250 and do all kinds of riding...mostly trail and stuff..i have to deal with bumps..rocks..roots.. stuff like that all the time. my susp is as soft as it will go on rebound and comp, would a steering stabilizer help out with some minor headshake problems?

Top Bottom