20" front, 18" rear for 01cr250?

tmoney

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2002
20" front, 18" rear for 01cr250? Thought maybe this would be a better place to post, I had no responses in the CR,KX,RM,YX forum.

I'm mainly into trails this year and thinking of making the switch to a 20in front and 18 inch rear RIM size. (01 cr250). I've been told that going to the 18" rim on the rear will increase tire life tremendously while also yielding more grip as well as reduce the chances of having a bent rim due to the taller tire setup. Has anyone tried this setup? Also, will this be a huge negative to riding the bike on motorcross tracks (i.e. cornering, jumping etc). Thanks for any help.

dale williams

Feb 3, 2000
I'm running the same bike (great bike isn't it) with the 19 on the back and 21 on the front in the woods in western Washington. Lots of rocks and roots and have good tire life using S12 tires and have yet to have a snake bite flat even though I run only 10 psi. I thought about the 20" front as it would give more shock absorption on rocks and roots but am concerned about it's extra width wanting to climb out of a rut and general walering in loose stuff.

et998

Mar 24, 2002
DALE,WHAT SIZE S 12 TIRES DID YOU GO WITH?I HAVE A BUD WITH AN 01 CR 250 ALSO AND HE CAN'T FIND EXACT SIZE IN THAT TIRE AS
STOCK.

hoov165x

May 31, 2002
I also have an '01 CR 250 that I use in the tight woods of Oregon. I have both a 21" and a 20" front and I can tell youthat the 20 stinks offroad. It wanders and tries to climb out of ruts instead of following a line. I did lots of set up work and never could get it to work for me. If you have noticed, the 20" fad is all but dead this year. It does work well on a really hard blue groove MX track though. I also run a 18" rear and it works really well in both applications.

dale williams

Feb 3, 2000
Thanks for the tip hoov. You just saved me the money and trouble of finding out what I suspected of the 20" front. How would you compare the 18" rear to the 19"? Is it worth the change for tight woods stuff?

hoov165x

May 31, 2002
The 18 Excel with a talon hub, buchanan heavy gauge spokes, spline drive nipples, D756 110/100- 18 and a moose heavy duty tube is exactly 3 lbs. heavier that the stock rear setup with a 695. I can feel this extra rotating mass on an mx track. In the woods I think that it hooks up maybe just a little better and provides an extra bit of cushion on small high frequency bumps. Supposedly with the taller sidewall there is an extra measure of protection against pinch flats. On my last three KX's I ran the stock 19's and never flatted (in the rear), and at times I ride and race in rocky areas. In my opinion it is not worth the money.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…