Question on Switching Wheels to 20" front 18" rear

clevsyzf

Nov 9, 2004
So I was thinking of switching wheel on my 2004 CR250 from the stock 21" front and 19" rear to a 20" front and a 18" rear. I thought that it would reduce overall weight and may help with reducing weight on the suspension but would there be any adverse affects? Is this crazy talk since most oem bikes come with the 21" and 19"???

windyhill

Mar 31, 2004
If you plan on ridin in the woods with lots of rocks, I think this would be an excellent mod, but not sure how hard it is to lace up rims.

rmracer

Oct 27, 2004
Just remember the smaller wheels you go, the faster acceleration you will have but less top speed and the oppisite for bigger wheels. That is one more thing to take into consideration. It is just like changing sprockets

hoov165x

May 31, 2002
I used a 20" front on my 2001 CR250 and it sucked. On hardpack it was good. Everywhere else it sucked. Especially in ruts, where it would continually try to climb out. Don't waste your $$$$.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
rmracer said:
Just remember the smaller wheels you go, the faster acceleration you will have but less top speed and the oppisite for bigger wheels. That is one more thing to take into consideration. It is just like changing sprockets

The overall tire size doesn't change, therefore the gearing doesn't change. Offroad guys run 18" wheels because the tires have a taller sidewall, resulting in less pinch flats.

showtime0244

Dec 6, 2004
ive ridden a 2004 yz250 with the ty davis setup the 20"18" and i could not believe how well the front end stuck IN EVERYTHING that front end didnt do anything but stick to the ground. i purposely went into corners dry,wet,rutted anything i could find and try to push the front end out or do something wierd with it and it didnt budge it just begged to be turned faster and sharper. i cant even explain how well it stuck

but it could feel different on a honda :(

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom