20 MM Clamps on '02 - '05 CR250

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
RAR said:
...Does the CR really need them?
It helps alot, the steering response is very vague and there is not enough weight on the front wheel. The 22mm is enough on the cr250, but the 20mm is better if you like a quick turning bike. I just bought myself a custom machined 21mm clamp.

Last edited:

RAR

Nov 30, 2001
Cool, that makes sense now. I read your original post and I thought :think: :coocoo: .... Thanks for the info!

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
I just installed RG3 20mm clamps on my 2002 CR250.
The steering stops on the new lower clamp are farther out than the stock one which allows the bars to turn more. Because of this, I can't tell if the -4mm offset is actually working.

One other suckie thing is that the RG3 Generation 2's don't work with the bolt on Scotts damper post because the 2 rear bolt heads for the bar mounts would hit it while trying to turn to full lock. I had to seriously grind the dogsh#t outta the corners of the post bracket. After that cleared, the backside of the clamp started to hit the post upon full lock turning. Gotta cut and reweld the post 1/4" towards the gas tank. :bang:

I just took off the post and will deal with that crap later. I might have to go with the bracket on the front fender instead, the thing is, you gotta drill a couple of holes in your frame and tap threads to mount the bracket. Scotts shoulda just made the bolt on post proper to begin with. All of this came after conversations with Scotts and RG3 stating that the clamp/post combo should work.

My 2 cents,

Tracy

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Why would the steering stops matter one iota in determining if the "offset works" or not? The steering stops are to keep the forks from denting the frame in a crash. Beyond that, they play no role in the handling of the bike.

Does the bike turn better when you ride it? Or more accurately, do you like how it turns now, compared to how it turned before? If so, they worked. If not, they didn't.

Top Bottom