200 mxc first ride....have questions

Agar

Mar 14, 2001
I recently picked up a '98 200 mxc from a rider in my home town. I finally had a chance to ride the bike this weekend and I had a couple of questions. I am pretty new to riding, and am coming off a '95 Husky 350 WXE. I really enjoyed the power and weight of the KTM, not to mention the fact that it actually turned (compared to the Husky). The one thing I couldn't get used to was the front brake. It was like a light switch. When it grabbed, it grabbed HARD...which when combined with the soft front fork setting, resulted in a fairly spectacular trip over the handlebars and a broken hand guard (clutch side). My question is are all KTM front brakes this "grabby," or is it just the fact that I moved to a bike that is probably 60 lbs. lighter, so the braking action is that much stronger? Can anything be done to make the front brake more progressive? Oh...I also noticed that my boots were catching on the radiator shrouds. Does anyone else have this problem, or is my riding position just screwed up? Thanks guys, for any help you may be able to provide.

yota

Oct 9, 2001
The 98 had grabby front brakes. Try ebc pads. A sweet fix for the shrouds catching on your boots: Near the bottom corner of the shroud (near the air box) there is a line cast in on the 1/4" or so wide 90 degree bend along the top. Take a pair of snips and cut out a "V" shaped notch of plastic at that line. Take a heat gun or hair dryer and heat the back side of the plastic in this area and bend it in toward the tank. While still hot hold the plastic under cold water and it will stay bent in. You can over bend it as the tank will push it back out where it needs to go.

Agar

Mar 14, 2001
Yota,

Thanks for the response. I will definitely look into the EBC brake pads. As for the shrouds, sounds like a good idea. I think I will try that with an aftermarket set of shrouds, as the original shrouds are in showroom condition....just a thought anyway. Thanks again.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Shorter boots will also solve the shroud problem. Alpinestar Vectors did't/don't catch on any of my KTM's. M-4's don't catch either.

ccombeau200

May 2, 2002
i have a pair of M-4 alpinestars and they have never caught on my shrouds. but i have worn my dads TECH-5 alpinestars and they caught alot. i guess the M-4 is shorter

Top Bottom