Questions about my "almost new" 2002 EXC 200

roadrash1

Sep 14, 2003
I came by a 2002 EXC 200 yesterday with 55 original miles on it! I have a few questions.

1. The manual says premix at 40-1 to 60-1. All my life, I've been a 32-1 guy. Will 50-1 work well, and provide enough protection with the EXC 200?

2. The manual says 6/10 " of chain freeplay. I thought KTM's ran more than that. Something about the two or three finger rule?

3. Will the MXC front nuberplate fit without removing the odometer? If not, is there a plug you can buy for the front hub, if you remove the odometer cable?

It has been a couple years since I had a two-stroke. Maybe it's my lack of recent seat-time, but when I put fresh gas in the bike and rode it around the field behind my house, I thought...."Wow! This is NOT a 250!" It is a strong engine!
Thanks for anybody's input. -roadrash-

crazybeef

Sep 28, 2004
The MX plate will fit, but I don't know if it will clear with the odo.
I use 32:1 ratio in all my bikes including my KTM.Oil is a good thing. So having said that, I think you'll be fine using an oil that is designed for 50:1 use. Motul 800, BelRay MC-1, and Amsoil Dominator are all designed to work at 50:1.
10mm of chainslack is about the norm for recent KTMs You check it by pushing the chain up against the bottom of the chainslider so it is tight then meaure the distance from the top of the chain to the bottom of the swingarm. A properly adjusted chain on a KTM looks like it's loose.They don't have a linkage. Don't over tighten the chain because it will place undue stress on the countershaft and can crack the transmission case.
Apply antiseize or grease on the chain adjuster bolts that thread into the swingarm. KTM swingarms get water in them and the bolts will seize in the swingarm and be almost impossible to remove if you don't.
Join KTMTALK.com.

roadrash1

Sep 14, 2003
Thanks, Crazybeef!
I think I will stick with the 32 to 1. A little spooge never hurt anything. Wipes right off. I sure am looking forward to riding this bike. It really has everything already done to it, (with the exception of a skidplate and handguards), to make it woods ready! -roadrash-

Top Bottom