BUCKWHEAT

Nov 14, 1999
Getting one or the other as soon as the WR250F sells. Does the 200 have much grunt down low? I know the 250 would be powerful enough but that 200 is soooo light. I only weigh 160lbs. so I'm kinda leaning towards the 200. Does the 200 require constant shifting or can it stretch out the gears?

Thanksl

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
Grrrruunt

My last two bikes were a 98 WR400F and my current 2000 200exc. I've had the 200 for about two years now. I was concerned about not getting enough power out of the 200 at first. Wrong, I have found it to have plenty of power every where for me even after owning the 400 for a year. When the bike is jetted properly it has plenty of low end grunt. I ride in tight single track woods and I rarely use first gear. It took me awhile to get used to climbing hills with it since I was used to the WR400F, but otherwise I have never been dissappointed. The hills are no longer a problem. It just takes a more aggressive riding style on the hills, but it'll get you to the top if you can hang on. I'm about 170 pounds and I would think you are the perfect size for the 200 as long as you aren't much over 6' tall.

I almost forgot to address the shifting issue. You may have to shift it a little more often but I don't feel like it is a problem. I certainly don't feel like I am constantly shifting. I ride a gear high a lot of time on flat slick areas and just tap the clutch when coming out of a corner and look out.

Good Luck
Neal

Last edited:

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
i came from a thumper to a '02 200 EXC and i absolutely love it. it make plenty of power down low like a thumper, and a very good mid-range, the only thing about it is that is has minimum top-end. i ride alot of woods so top-end is not a problem for me. as for the shifting thing, i feel that u kinda have to speed shift (quick shift) the bike to make the best power. hills are no problem, just like MONKEY said just hang on, one of the 2 will make it to the top, hopefully together. hope u get the 200, u won't be disapointed

yota

Oct 9, 2001
I have both bikes and the yz250f mostly sits lonely in the garage. I weigh 185 with gear and full camelbak and power and grunt is not a problem. The 200 is sooo light.

socal scott

Nov 2, 2001
:think The 200 is okay after "truely" proper jetting(42p/180m/DDK or CEK needle). 160 lbs is ideal, I go 190, btw. I've stuck with mine, but have tinkered with mods. from day one. The bike has great potential. The 250 may be a bit much for tight woods. Jetting, a re-valve and your set though.
That being said.
Come on guys! Upon first ride he will understand how amazing Shane Watts must be to do what he does. His bikes never see grunt. If you stay stock, start riding like a 125 MX pro(not easy). Stock roll-on power under a load is weaker than the KDX or XR250 and no where near a 250 2 smoke. True the motor keeps chugging way down, but no real torque to quickly get back up to speed. If you lose momentum you'll have riders on your arse so fast and you can't get out of their way. Bog and spin, 'til trail levels off . That was tiring, even though I'm in pretty good shape.
Upon purchase I went from among fastest in my riding group to keeping an eye on the straglers. Grunt has been the thorn in my side. Yes, there is hope. To date I have unreal power(FMF CDI magic), but it is mostly hp not torque, the torque is closer to being acceptable though. Oh yeah, the turning and suspension were also a factor in slowing me down. Very significant, almost evil at slow or fast pace. Again, tinkering(oil,springs,settings) has made it tolerable 'til I re-valving.

What terrain and your ability really may determine which size is best for you. I ride socal mountain trails and am pretty aggressive. 250's are the logical for me, but where's the fun in that. I've stayed with my 200MX/C for the light weight(250's feel heavy now). I also like the new challenge of being the underdog. With current mods. life is much better(10 times faster), but if I hop on a re-valved MX 250... forget about it! I totally relax, they're just so easy to go fast on.

Not trying to be negative here, I just want Buckwheat to be prepared. He should be prepared to spend more money/tinker to get it set-up for his liking. True, I"ve only come across a small number of individuals that have similar issues(may have to due w/weight?). :confused:

Good luck

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
it's personal preference. i pretty much parked my 250 after riding the 200. i go about 210. i like a long, smooth powerband, so i've modded mine that way. however 2 A rider buddies of mine sold 250s & bought 200s after riding mine, & they like them virtually stock (1 runs the fmf pipe). they are both heavier than me, & 1 of them just won the A class overall at an enduro. you can make the bike into just about anything you want; you are betting that the light weight & flickability make up for the smaller displacement. that's up to you.

MotoEnduro

~SPONSOR~
Mar 11, 2001
I went thru the same decision last year. I rode both the 200 and 250 EXCs and settled on the '01 250. I liked the engine much more over the 200. But the 200 has a smaller, lighter, easier to handle frame. It really depends on where you are riding. For anything but the tightest woods, the 250 rules IMO. but like socal scott said, it is a handful in the really tight stuff- you gotta sit on the tank, head over the bars and muscle it thru the trees. I weigh 140, and have had to have endless suspension work and bike setup to get it right for the tight, but firecuts, open trail, deep whoop trails, get on the gas, the bike tracks straight thru like a champ.

BUCKWHEAT

Nov 14, 1999
Thanks for all the input. What about general maintenence such as top ends, reeds, etc...Anything special about WP suspension maitenance?

Top Bottom