B

Jun 29, 2000
Has anyone one here done an A B test with a 200 against a KDX250. What are the power differences like? is the 250 suited to a different riding style?

I just want a little more ummmphh from the 200 and without spending loads on it, Id sooner get a 250. :flame:

Its had the exhast mod, reeds, inlet, barrel ported and is pretty quick but another couple of pony's would be nice.

B

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I think that the additional weight of the 250 would be harder to overcome than the need for power on the 200. I rode a 91 200 back to back with a kdx250 of the same year and noticed a substantial difference in handling, etc. Not necessarily good or bad, just different. It might be easier to get an mx bike and de tune, than it is to do what you are asking.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I had a '90 KDX200 and a '91 KDX250. Both bikes required mods to get the most out of them, but the 250 needs MORE preperation to get it working right, as the stock jetting and front suspension are poor, and the steering is pretty slow.

Stock to stock, the magazines of the day and most riders would prefer the 200. BUT after mods, I honestly preferred the 250. It has much more power when tuned right, which is a big plus if you ride in areas with mountains. When revalved, the suspension is better than the 200's. The slow steering and excess weight can be mitigated to a degree.

I had each bike for approx. 3 years. Each had a steering damper and dual sport kit.

After lots of work dialing in both bikes, the 200 was better on twisty, level trails. Everywhere else, the 250 was superior, IMO.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
having the 250, the amount of torque compared to a 200 is, well there is no comparison. The 250 you can ride all day long without using the power band on the trails. There is that much low end to the bike. The 200 anytime you want to go, you slip the clutch get on the band and then start moving.

Top speed is about the same since the 250 has a WR gear box. If you get the 94+ 200 then both bikes have the perimeter frame which is a big plus. The chassis is so much more stable and resist flex than a backbone frame.

I would agree that the 250 takes more work to setup, especially in the jetting department. If you ride strictly trails and woods, the suspension is very plus and will not tire you stock. Now if you start pushing, you will want stiffer springs. But that is saying the same for the 200s. For me riding the 250 is much less tiring than riding a xr or 200 in the woods. The weight is about negliable between the bikes. They both come in about 230lbs dry.

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
The 250 has more low end power and with a Pro circuit exaust system it has about the same amount top end as a 200. IMO the 200 is best in flat dirt trails or for trail riding, whereas the 250 is good for hillclimbing and all other situations. I have been known to pull 4th gear wheelies on dirt before and that is no joke. The 250 has more torque than a 200 and you really feel it when you need the power to make something happen.

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
[The 250 has more low end power and with a Pro circuit exaust system it has about the same amount top end as a 200. IMO the 200 is best in flat dirt trails or for trail riding, whereas the 250 is good for hillclimbing and all other situations. I have been known to pull 4th gear wheelies on dirt before and that is no joke. The 250 has more torque than a 200 and you really feel it when you need the power to make something happen.

So.....A KDX250 compared with a piped (and reeds) KDX220......

B

Jun 29, 2000
Surely if the 250 has more torque and a wr gearbox it can be geared for a slightly higher top speed or at least a bit more poke in the upper mid/ top. I ride 50/50 on/ off road and between trails the 200, although good on the road could do with a little more punch. As a 100% trail bike, its the best thing to come into my like.

Thanks for all the replys and if anyone has any trick looking 250's, a pic would be nice.

B

B

Jun 29, 2000
As a 100% trail bike, its the best thing to come into my like.

Thats mean't to be life.

B

KiDX

Sponsoring Member
Mar 30, 2001
Here's a pic of mine:

Attachments

• sidebike.jpg
    sidebike.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 263

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by Tom Ludolff
What was the last year for the KDX250, and why did they stop making it? It has to have more power than a 200 or 220. I don't get it!!!!!

The last year it was sold in the US was '94. Sales were not good as the magazines torched the bike for being heavy, wide at the tank and having a poor riding position (it is wider at the tank than most MXers). I think both DR and DB compared it to the 200 and preferred the 200.

Bottom line is the bike was not well dialed in from the factory (forks and jetting especially), but it benefits greatly from a good setup and is a decent, reliable bike with a few minor mods. It has a very heavy flywheel and when jetted right with a pipe, the motor is good.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
See here is the thing that I dont get with the magazines. If you are going to make an enduro or desert bike out of a Mxer, you have to get a larger gas tank. The stock 2 gallon ones will get out about no where before you have to turn back.

My old Cr250 that I had had a clark tank, 3.x gallons. So it was wider than stock, but it was so nice to be able to ride 75 miles without worries.

When magazines say heavy and wide, they should compare apples to apples, not oranges. Yes when you add enduro equipment like an odometer, SA, gaurds, bikes do get heavier. My old cr tipped the scales only about 10 pounds lighter than the KDX250 and still did not have lights. When you add a larger fuel tank so you dont have to walk back, the bike gets wider. I would love to see them compare like a KX250 or 500 setup for baja with a true enduro bike.

Anyways, rant off. Like Dave said, good bike just takes more setup than most other bikes for it to excel.

OZ_dirtrider

Jul 2, 2001
The KDX250 is a pig (thats what l nickname my bike) LOL.
I have change the suspension to suit my weight and tuned the bike to the point that it is running crisp but the overall limitation that this bike possess over the 200 or 220 is weight and the way the weight is distributed.
I have a wr400 and that is a lot heavier than the 250 but it feels lighter in the sense of it's side to side movement.
Coming off the 250 onto a KDX200/220, it's like how light is this thing!!!!
The KDX250 doesn't possess a motor anywhere near the KX250 or other 250's othe there, but has more than the 200 and 220's. It's a good learning bike as, what l have found, you need to concentrate about your body weight and how to overcome the inheritant problems of this bike and a high level of concentrate is needed to just keep up with other, more HP and agile bikes.
I'm a lot faster, more observant and overall a lot better riding after spending time learning to ride a KDX250 in all conditions.

Would l recommend it? If you want a cheap 250 that will keep up with most bikes then yes but be prepared to work hard on the bike and spend a bit of $$$ to make it handle better. After you've mastered this bike, other bikes will feel like paper weights compared to the KDX250 but you'll be a better rider.

Oz

B

Jun 29, 2000
Cheers OZ,

I'd never really thought about the extra weight involved with the bigger chassis and motor.

B

OZ_dirtrider

Jul 2, 2001
B,

It's not so much the heaviness of the KDX250, just the way the motor is positioned in a heavy frame that doesn't allow the bike to be agile or nimble, to the point that it should be back .5 to 1inch.
i have a friend who transplanted a KX500 motor into a modified KDX250 frame (took the front steel beams and replaced with single piece and repositioned the mounts), and that bike flew and handle so much better than standard.
I personally, would go that way in terms of modifing the frame unless you know what you are doing.
Again, for a cheap bike that keeps up and will help you learn how to ride and what to look for in a sweet handling bike.
I still have my 92 along with a WR360 and soon to be TE450, but what l learnt about trail riding and how to position my body in corners etc, started off on the KDX250.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom