dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
After mods, the KDX250 is certainly not state of the art, light or quick steering. But they are so cheap to buy, they makes a decent alternative if you are on a budget and want a 250 motor.

A few things I did to get my KDX250 to turn better:

Raise the fork tubes so about 10mm of blue is above the top triple clamp.

Have negative pre-load on the aftermarket fork springs - actually have a gap of 1/4" or so between the top of the spring/bottom of the cap at full extension. This allows the front end to dive down during cornering (not recommended on any other bike).

Rear tire all the way forward (remove links from chain)

Use a good front tire and a steering damper

Grind steering stop down

Shave seat foam to improve riding position - lets you get more forward on the wide tank even if you are tall (I am 6')

Revalving the forks is a must.

One of my friends did all the above plus modifying his frame to get a steeper steering head angle. He is qualified to do this kind of work. The bike not only steered better if felt like it lost 20 pounds!

jc

Sep 22, 2001
I have known two fellow kdxer's that rode 250 s stock. Good low end and don't make enough power to break themselves (thats a good thing sometimes) and they are heeeeeeavy. I would not hesitate to buy one like the one pictured in this posting but you need to decide- light quick handling or heavier stable handling- low grunt or top end hit. At least that is my findings. My 200 is faster when we ride but it may be the rider. Thats what the pumkin riders say too. Can't go wrong w/a kdx 200 220 250. The money you spend making it yours is half the fun.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom