2000 XR100 smokes worse than a 2-stroke

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
I just picked up this 2000 xr100 that is pretty beat up. It smokes a lot to where its spooging like a 2-stroke. Im not sure where to start. I wanna believe its maybe worn out rings and be an easy fix, or it may be leaking oil through the valves.

Arnt these things indestrucible? would the valves be bad on this type of bike? I guess anything is possible since the bike was thrashed.

any help appreciated
thanks

Crzyfrlss1

Apr 5, 2006
You already aswered your own assumptions.

Time for a top end rebuild (piston and rings, etc)
And/or valve seals.

Fix it now before you blow it to pieces :laugh:

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Is the air filter dry and dirty, probably. Sand and dirt will ruin any rings, even in an indestructable XR. Take the top end apart and replace the rings, piston too if it is out of specs. If that doesn't solve the problem, rebuild the head.

Good luck, Steve.

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
Just incase give your silencer a repacking job. I did it to my bike and it smokes less and runs quieter then with my 2 year old packing.:)

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
Thanks for your help guys. I got a new top end coming so i'll throw that in and see what happens. oh and forgot one more thing. The choke slide vibrates a lot and wont fully open. I have to manually flip the lever to get it run right, well put the choke on so the slide is all the way open. I dont know why its doing this. and yesterday it just stopped. I pulled the plug off and cleaned the gunk off and put it back in and it started a litttle but quit. maybe the plugs fouled or its not getting fuel.

Top Bottom