macscr125

Aug 24, 2004
i just got this 2000 xr50 from this guy tonight. when we went to his garage he started it on the first kick and i drove it around and it ran great. then when i got it home i tried to start it and it wont start! i pulled the plug and made sure its getting spark, changed the oil, put fresh gas in it, cleaned the air filter and carb, and still, nothing. i dont know too much about the 50's. what procedure should i go through to try and start it. also sometimes it starts and idles for 3 or 4 seconds then dies.

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
My only thought is it is not getting fuel because you say sometimes it starts for a few seconds. Try a shot of gas or ether into the carb, if it starts right up maybe the jet picked up a piece of dirt and is clogged.
Stan

B

biglou

Couple basics to check: Choke on/off? Sometimes they need/don't need it on. Also, Is there enough gas in the tank? I kicked myself silly on one a couple years ago only to find out the fuel level was too low (I could hear gas sloshing in the tank and figured it was enough, but it wasn't). There's also the key switch, but it wouldn't run for even 3-4 seconds if that was off.

Top Bottom