QuentinCR250

May 15, 2005
Hi all, I have a 2001 CR250 which I would like to replace the fork oil as I have no idea when it was done last. Is changing the fork oil an easy job which can be done without expensive tools? I have a Clymer manual and have done every other job I have need to do on my bike including a top end rebuild, but I have never opened a fork up in my life!
I am a little confused reading the manual how far I actually have to go in the dissasembley process to change the fork oil can anyone help with a few simple pointers to get me on the right track? Thanks in advance.

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
It's not easy if you've never done it before. You have to be sure to bleed all the air out of the inner chamber. It can be done w/o any special tools but you'll need a wrench to fit the big hex on the top of the fork.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
there's a guy that sells the wrench and holder tool on that auction site, great guy to deal with, great tools, great price. I've not done my 01 CR yet, but I've done several other MX bike forks. I can't give specific instructiosn as the twin chamber will be a bit different, but in general its not hard, but you will need to take your time and pay close attention so you get all the bits back where they came from. If you have any frinds familer with the procedure get them to show you what to do, from then on it will seam super easy. Its well worth learing how to do forks IMHO:)

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
QuentinCR250 said:
I am a little confused reading the manual how far I actually have to go in the dissasembley process to change the fork oil can anyone help with a few simple pointers to get me on the right track? Thanks in advance.

I suggest you drop over to the MX Tech website and download the instructions for the TC fork from there. Follow step by step and you should be fine. It can be intimidating the first time, but they are a sweet fork to work on really.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Reading the instructions can be a bit confusing. I found that if you read along while taking the forks apart it is really very simple. It's easier when you can hold the parts in your hand to understand the process. If you have the proper tools, it's pretty straightforward.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom