bnorris86

Mar 24, 2005
Question about running an 1 1/2 hour hare scramble. I have a 2001 CR 250 Honda with the stock gas tank. Motor is stock except for v-force reeds. How long can I run this bike without stoping for fuel. I would like to go start-to-finish without stoping but I'd rather not get stranded as well. I mainly will be racing in tight Illinois trails with some mud and some gnarly uphills. Any info anyone has with there own cr250's I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks

Brandon :cool:

cr250can

Feb 16, 2005
I have a 97 CR 250 and at the sand dunes I get about 2-2 1/2 hours on a tank. My brother has 01 cr 250 he gets about the same. We are on the throttle alot more than woods riding so I bet you are ok. how many miles is the race?

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
Keep in mind if you roll through the check at the 1hr20min mark, you're going out for another lap and now your 90min race just became a 2hr race...

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
Depends on how fast you are... I could do a 2+ hour hare scramble with my stock yz250 using the stock tank w/out running out of gas... I'm not the slowest guy out there, but am far from fast... Most of the FAST guys have a modified tank and/or stop for gas... I can't imagine you having a problem w/ a 1.5 hour race unless you are mighty speedy... I just wish my series ran 1.5 hours as that last 1/2 hour is KILLER...

- B

bnorris86

Mar 24, 2005
Thanks for the replies. I race 250 "B" but would say I'm at the slower end of the spectrum. I just got the bike a few months ago and with the weird tank shape and the black tank, its hard to gauge how much fuel I've been burning. Seems like I burn a lot though. I'm not really sure what the actual mileage is for the course.

Thanks

Brandon

Just a side not to anyone who is from Northern,IL it is the Wedron Hare Scrambles at Fox Valley Off-road, maybe you might know the course length.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, I have heard the '01 CR250 is one of the thirstier 250's - worse mileage than most. A lot depends on how you ride (some fast guys keep it a gear high and get decent mileage), but mud and hills are going to hurt.

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
I used to have a '00 CR250 that I'd race enduros and occasionally HS with. I never ran the stock tank on it, I always had a oversized one. On both the CR and my current race bike, the KX, I had/have them equipped with three gallon tanks(stock is around two gal.). I'd get anywhere from 65 miles on a tank full (3 gal) at a organized dual-sport ride (really milking it to get the range) to as little as 40 miles at a race. If your running a stock tank don't chance it, stop and get fuel. With a oversized tank you could most likely make the whole event with stopping.

bnorris86

Mar 24, 2005
thanks everyone!! I'll definitely play the safe side and pit half way through. I'll also look into getting a bigger tank eventually.

keep roostin' :ride:

Brandon

tecumseh

Apr 14, 2005
bnorris86 said:
Question about running an 1 1/2 hour hare scramble. I have a 2001 CR 250 Honda with the stock gas tank. Motor is stock except for v-force reeds. How long can I run this bike without stoping for fuel. I would like to go start-to-finish without stoping but I'd rather not get stranded as well. I mainly will be racing in tight Illinois trails with some mud and some gnarly uphills. Any info anyone has with there own cr250's I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks

Brandon :cool:
This is off the subject but i just purchased the o1 and hope i made the right choice, how do you like yours?

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
Becareful, Like someone else said that 01 is thirsty. I race one and I know a few others who do and although the motor is better than most of the years right up to 05 it likes to drink the gas! My 01 is up in NewHampshire and Im selling it cause I am in Atlanta and want a shiny bike but the thing rips in the woods. Anyways.... Get a big tank for it, but think before you buy. You really only have 2 options a Clarke 3.0 tank, or an IMS 3.6. I have ridden both on the 01. The Clark is a better fit and looks nicer but in the long Harescrambles up here you are chancing it with the 3.0 and still have to stop for fuel. With the IMS 3.6 that's on my bike you dont have to even question it, you can go the distance. Also on a side note watch your cable postion especially behind the front plate. You will wear right through them if they arent routed right. I taped mine up for protection because I would occasionly run a headlight and there is nothing to hold the cables in place from getting tangled or rubbing on eachother. Put a headlight on and you will see what i mean.

Mike_socal

Oct 1, 2003
The 01 is probably thirsty because it runs 13/50 stock gearing. Change the gearing up and it will probably get better fuel mileage. Also the stock jetting is pretty rich and that doesn't help either.

bnorris86

Mar 24, 2005
Thanks for the info. My next question was going to be who has tried the different tanks and what the thought of them so your info will come in handy. I think for the shorter hare scrambles that I run that the Clarke Tank would be my best bet. Thanks again

Brandon :ride: brap!!!

Mike_socal

Oct 1, 2003
I have the clarke 3.0 tank which I believe is the biggest tank they make for the 01. It holds plenty of fuel for long rides. I think it could easily go 70-75 miles but I haven't pushed it that far to know. I have gone on a 60 mile loop and still have a little less than a 1/4 tank.

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
Mike Re read my post, I have the IMS 3.6. That is the biggest tank you can get for the 00-01 CR250. I have pics of it if anyone is curious what those tanks look like. But for Bnorris86's short HS I would agree he is better off with the Clarke tank.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
Considering you are a B rider with a thirsty bike, I wouldn't chance it... Losing a minute stopping for fuel sure beats pushing your bike to the finish...

- B

Mike_socal

Oct 1, 2003
Dan, I guess I wasn't clear. When I said "they" it was applying to the word Clarke. "I have the clarke 3.0 tank which I believe is the biggest tank they(Clarke) make for the 01."

Dan105 said:
Mike Re read my post, I have the IMS 3.6. That is the biggest tank you can get for the 00-01 CR250. I have pics of it if anyone is curious what those tanks look like. But for Bnorris86's short HS I would agree he is better off with the Clarke tank.

Top Bottom