2001 suzuki drz 400 help with suspension

May 1, 2008
;) can anyone help i just bought a used drz 400 and when i sit on the bike the back end comes down alot... I adjusted the screw on side of nitrogen bottle on shock. it has a H and a S i turned it to the H for i think it means for a heavy ride and the S means soft ride.. turned to H and nothing changed...should i change out the shock and put a heavy duty one on? thank you if anyone can help

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
H & S don't mean what you think they do. You should get a service manual before you assume too much more.

What you are tinkering with is the compression dampening. That's not going to affect how much the bike sags when you sit on it.

You need to do a search on "Race Sag" and learn about how to check and adjust your spring.

Then you can determine if you need to buy a spring suited for your weight.

You may also check with MX-TECH (link on the side above), they have good tutorials and should be able to tell you if the stock spring is good for your weight.

May 1, 2008
Thank you for the advice... This is my first bike I've owned and dont know nothing about them... I will go online and order a manuel for the bike..... I was told to put a Factory Conection shock spring with a 4.9kg... it this correct... I'm 6"1 and weigh 270 pounds....thank you guys for your help...

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
From what the MX-TECH site says, that bike comes stock with a 5.3kg/mm spring.

Going down to a 4.9 would be counterproductive.

You should be looking for a 5.9 for the rear and you may want to look at doing something up front.. Stock on that looks to be .440 kg/mm and you should be using something like a 0.522 kg/mm.

Top Bottom