mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
I got a 01 YZ 250 2t with alot of money put into it on new crank, conrod, cylinder resleeve, clutch and basket....reeds, fork seals etc. Bike runs good and very powerful, just needs tweaking on jetting...
Dilema is, do I sell it for a 04/05 model, where I dont know what its like inside, or keep this where I know what its like??

Just fancy looking at something newer (dont we all), but that could be costly in more wats than one...

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Entirely up to you. But I lean towards keeping what you have over buying an unknown potential money sucker. There were improvements in the YZ between '01 and '06 (pretty much BNG since then). If you're a serious rider or racer, the SSS suspension and titanium spring might be worth the upgrade. (And while a laugh at those kids that drop serious scratch on worthless bling and anodized crap, the first and only non-mechanical thing I'd do if I bought a Yamaha would be to locate and purchase yellow plastics. It's always groundhog day 1976 in my corner of the world and I still think Yamahas should be yellow !!)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Not knowing the condition of the used bike, keep what you have. Now you can put a thousand in the suspension, and catch up on that neglected service. I rather enjoy a little investing at a time, and keep the bike in race shape. All at once blows!

mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
Rest of the bike is good, new front and rear discs and pads, rear linkage bushes, fork seals and oil, gear shaft and lever, new plastics and graphics...

I want to replace the front pipe tho, dents that wont pop out, and 2 pin size holes in it...

Not racing anymore, just local tracks. Just always wish I had newer when you see new bikes at the track....

Truth is tho, my engine could be in better condition than thiers..

Yes, rear shock could do with a service...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I was real happy with my 97CR build. The 00CR is going to be even better! At least it is from this century. There is not much change from the 00 to present on the YZ either? Unless I get $13,500.00 dollars, for a new bike. My bike is CHEAP!

mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Not knowing the condition of the used bike, keep what you have. Now you can put a thousand in the suspension, and catch up on that neglected service. I rather enjoy a little investing at a time, and keep the bike in race shape. All at once blows!

What do you do to ensure the bike is in "race shape"?
What sort of maintenance do you do on your bikes to keep them running sweet?

What is the best way to get the aged aluminium engine/cases clean?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
mike-evans said:
What do you do to ensure the bike is in "race shape"?
What sort of maintenance do you do on your bikes to keep them running sweet?

What is the best way to get the aged aluminium engine/cases clean?
Race shape means what it says. Pretty cases is not, that is for show. My cheap older dirt bike for 700 dollars, has about a grand in the suspension, so far. The motor, we shall see. But, race shape means its ready to race! No beating axles and bolts out, no rust or corrosion, and NO DIRT from the last ride, in the linkages! Filter, oil, gas and go. Running sweet, changes way too much day to day.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
I'd keep the 01 that you sunk coin into already. I've got an 04 and it's not a whole lot different from yours. My son has an 09 and there is a noticible diffence in stock suspension and frame stiffness (at least to him). What do you want a racer, rec rider, or garage queen? As far as shiny aluminum cases that sounds like the later. When the sleeve goes I'd try and find something in the 10-11 range - that's just me.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I've got a 2000 YZ250 and it is in really nice condition. All I need to do is get the forks to stop leaking and I'll be really happy. It really is a good solid bike. If you want it to feel different, get a 2002 upper triple clamp. I put one on mine and the whole bike feels better. That is the only mod I have done to this bike.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
I was real happy with my 97CR build. The 00CR is going to be even better! At least it is from this century. There is not much change from the 00 to present on the YZ either? Unless I get $13,500.00 dollars, for a new bike. My bike is CHEAP!

The YZs did get a few changes through the years. 05 is the first year of the aluminum frame with the AOS twinchamber forks. the yz250 only got a bleed valve in the 05 forks. The 06-present get the SSS forks and wider front clamps from the 05 model.

From there, they have just swapped out the newer 4 stroke parts like wheels, brake rotors, linkages and swingarms. the motor is about the same from 06-present.

I personally would upgrade to an 06-present model. The new aluminum frame is a great upgrade from the steelies. suspension is in a whole different league from the 04 and earlier models.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Personally, I would keep the 2001. You know exactly where you stand with that bike. I suppose it also depends on your bank roll and how willing you are to spend money on a toy. Some people are very willing to spend money on toys...some finance them at high interest rates and pay out the a$$...others, like myself, would never finance a toy. So, my point is that it comes down to your own call based on your personal situation...not our opinions.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Will the older motor drop in the Aluminum frame? Hard to believe they waited till 05 for the twin chamber forks.

no idea but the 02 motor is what they have used to the present with small tweaks.

yes up to 03 they used 46mm kyb cartridge forks, then 48 in 04 which they still use in the WRs today, and then 05 was the aoss, and 06+ is the sss forks both of which are twinchambers (05+)

Top Bottom