vancerd

Oct 29, 2002
I recently purchased a 2001 YZ250. I went to the MX tech website (along with some others) to determine what the proper spring rates would be for a 210 lb rider. Most of them agree that 5.0 Kg/mm is what is recommended. The stock spring is 4.9 so I thought "close enough". But when I set the sag to 4 inches, there is no free sag when I am off the bike. Why is this, what spring do I really need?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
get the stock spring off a yz426, they are 5.6 and cheap of ebay!

i am 220lbs and that spring works for me, for some reason, most generators are way off for that bike

vancerd

Oct 29, 2002
Thanks for the help. That makes a lot more sense than what the generators were telling me. But... while we're on the topic, what about the forks?

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
You will need at least a .44kg fork spring. This will help keep the suspension balanced after u install a 5.6kg shock spring. You should also raise your oil height to around 110mm. This will help but these bikes really need a revalve, they r way harsh.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
well, at least i tried, LOL. dbrace, what i was asking was were there any particular flaws that needed to be looked at for the heavier rider? also, did you have to alter the rebound valving to cope with the 5.6 spring?

btw. please dont think i am asking for settings, i am just after some pointers on where my problem is (apart from lack of riding talent:)), ive tried everything with the clickers and i just feel that the shock could be so much better, but with my limited experience i cant figure why it doesnt seem to work well for me.

cheers, BC

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom