fairdinkum

Aug 10, 2002
front end does not soak up high speed hit,deflects off wash outs.have changed oil height to 125ml and the valve stack is a single stage,would it be better with a dual stage- what shims as i have all the shims and can do the job....cheers

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Not many people like to give out shim stacks im afraid.I have heard the 520 works well with 15mm of preload on the forks-i know this sounds alot but it really works.

Yoken

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
I have purchased the 2002 KTM520SX 3 weeks ago, so I do not have many hours of testing on it. As you mention, fork deflection was a problem for me too. At this stage (after 5 hours of riding only), the best setting I found are:

FORK
Oil type: unchanged so far
Spring rate: stock
Internal preload: stock plastic spacers
External preload: 1 turn IN
Oil height: 85mm to have decent bottoming resistance (but it makes the fork a bit harsh on the last third of the travel though...)
LSC: 26 OUT
LSR: 15 OUT

SHOCK
Spring: stock
Spring preload: set for 95mm rear sag (standing on pegs)
LSC: 17 OUT
HSC: full OUT
LSR: 25 OUT

Please note that I am 1m80 and 80 to 85kg with gear. And I tested the bike only on rocky hardpacked clay.

The above settings gave me a much plusher ride and a quite good control in tight slippery turns. Less deflection definitely. I still have some headshake at speed when entering breaking bumps though...

For info, during my next rides, I will try the following:
- slight increase of LSR (1 click at a time) to compensate for the high oil level. The fork rebounds at bit fast when I reach near bottoming in breaking bumps.
- step by step increase of external preload and opening of the LSC. Just to see if I can keep it plush with better bottoming resistance. I will see also how it affects the headshake problem.
- move the rear wheel all the way back and see about the headshake. I will try also moving the handlebar to its 1st position (closer to the gas tank)...
- step by step increase the shock HSC and see how it affects the handling...

Hope this will help you and enjoy your riding.
Yoken.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom