2002 AND 2001 cr250 QUESTIONS

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Other than the airbox issue, is there any other common problems with the 2002? I am not aware of any issues with the 2001...were there any.

I have a choice between a new 2001 and a new 2002...which would you recommend and why? I have heard that the 01 has more power and that the 02 is a little soft.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
The stock motor on the '01 is probably better (at least the guys who have them say so) I think the suspension and the frame on the '02 are a real improvement. I really like the forks and to me the thing handles great! The motor on the '02 is smooth but kinda mellow down low stock. My only other issues (other than the airbox) were that you really have to watch the spokes during break in. :silly:

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I'd go for the '02. Lighter weight, better suspension, better resale value, and mild mods can bring the engine to life.

Sir speedy

Jan 7, 2001
i have owned every year of cr250's since 1995......so I kinda know what I am talking about.....the 2002 is a step forward in handling and weight. but what really shines is the suspension...wow ...its great right out of the box.....as far as the engine goes, it is not impressive your first couple of times at the track......but give it a chance and you will find its a really easy bike to ride and although it doesn't feel turbo-fast - it gets the job done and best of all it doesn't tire you out....i would compare it to a '99kx250 or '98yz250...another side benefit is it grabs traction like a four-stroke...i am a big fan of the '02 and if you really want that "hit" like the 02 yz - just grab a moto-tassinari reed cage and a pipe of your choice and go.....I have riden both and I still prefer my 02cr250 bone stock. Honda makes a pretty good stock pipe. the one thing I would reccomend is change the oil in the tranny very often and a taller seat foam. I am only 5'11 - but I find it really makes it easy to get forward in turns. Once the air filter problem is solved, all you have to do is watch the spokes. the 02 feels like a 125 - its that light, has far better suspension and is a very easy bike to ride/race.....I race 30-40 time a year and my stock bike gives up othing to the competition.....its 5 months old and looks like it is brand new....thats something yz,rm and kx owners can't say...good luck

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Sir speedy hit it on the head, it feels like a 125. A REALLY STINKIN FAST 125!! :scream: I thought that I felt that way because I got off of a YZ400, but glad to hear it's a universal feeling. Also really true about the lower end oil, some of my buddies have gone to steel clutch plates just to make the oil run cleaner.

tyler4551

Apr 6, 2002
I agree, go with the 02. It is an awesome bike. I also kept mine with the stock pipe and silencer, threw in the v force reeds and went with a 50 tooth on the rear sprocket and it screams.

storytime

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Would have to agree. Have oned many cr's in the past as well as "01" and am now on a "02" . Handling is much better very easy to ride agressively with out the old punichment of the 01. Just be ready to do some jetting as boath the 01 and the 02 need help with the brass and the slide cutaway.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Go 02 its worth it. I think the guys here are giving you some good advice. Being an owner of one myself its AWSOME. I have ridden both the 02 YZ250(friend owns one) and I prefer my bike. It has a style of power that you can manage, but make no mistake it has power. A straight drag run with the YZ and they are together (niether bike pulls away). The handling is great due to improved suspension and light weight. Listen to the commercial "Champions ride RED".:moon:

zeroo

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 31, 2000
Martin I sent you a PM.

I'm glad as heck everyone is so happy with their '02 CR's.I am trading or selling my 520 to get one.With the new reed cage and pipe how off was everyones jetting?Can't wait to get the two stroke twang back in my life.My son is getting tired of me riding his 65sx :whiner: .

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by yami426ff
Shouldn't you be considering a 2003....... :moon:

I can get leftovers much cheaper than the new model.

yami426ff

Jun 4, 2001
I figured that JamesP, i was just being a smart :moon: . Good luck on your purchase. If you like to travel, head to Canada, I was able to pick up a New 02 CR in March for $4150....... FYI. ;)

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
Yami426ff,
do you mind providing the dealership name, telephone number and a contact/saleman name from where you bought it?
It would be most appreciated!

BuggyDaker

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2001
i also went the canadian route... eh. mine came with 755 dunlops on it versus the 490/695 dunlops. i wonder why they sell different hoops to those guys up der in da nort?

yami426ff

Jun 4, 2001
rider 007 my private message didn't work ... send me a message w/ your email and i can give u details. also.. do a search on lrice85 or buying a bike in canada.. we wrote a page on it....

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Well I got a brief ride around a parking lot on a new CR250. Obviously couldn't jump it or wind it out. I did notice that the suspension feels PLUSH....almost XR like. The thing runs REAL SMOOTH and doesn't vibrate half as much as my 2000. Did you guys notice this difference in going from an 00/01 to an 02 or is my 00 just in rough shape. The other difference from my 00 is that mine has a noticeable hit where the 02 didn't unless it was somewhere above 1/3 throttle.

Thanks for all of the input. 02 it is...or 03 if I'm lucky.

Last edited:

Sir speedy

Jan 7, 2001
GOOD CALL!
THE "HARDER" YOU RIDE THE '02 THE BETTER IT RESPONDS.....THAT MAY SOUND A LITTLE ODD, BUT IF I RODE MY '97-'01 LIKE I DO THE '02 I WOULD BE IN ICU FOR SURE.....KEEP IT STOCK AND SAVE YOU MONEY FOR TIRES, LUBE, AND TOP-END JOBS AND LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER.... ALSO A BUDDY OF MINE INSTALLED A EBC OVERSIZE FRONT DISC AND IF YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT BRAKING IT STOPS ON A DIME...NICE, BUT TOO STRONG FOR MY TASTE BUT YOU MAY LIKE IT.....BY THE WAY I HAVE A LITTLE SPONSORSHIP WITH FMF AND MY FMF PIPE SITS ON THE BENCH AND I RACE WITH THE STOCKER AT ALL RACES EXCEPT THE REALLY TIGHT STUFF. RIDE ON BIG BOY I AM SURE YOU WILL LOVE IT.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…