Status
Not open for further replies.

kd133

May 31, 2001
Anyone know when ktm is releasing the info on the 02 bikes. Also when they will be avaible. Thanks.:)

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Not sure. Has anyone heard anymore about the 250 RFS? I haven't heard anything in a while, so I was curious as to what was happening with it.

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
Sounds like the 250RFS will not be an 02 model. They cant get the power out of it that they had hoped for. I wouldnt be surprised to see the 400SX become a 450 and bigger forks on the SXs. I hope the 400EXC stays at 400cc though.

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
2002 KTM's

English off road paper has outlined a new 250 engine for the SX version for 2002 but no release date.The engine is going to be 'next generation' advanced,whatever that means!

mopowa

Dec 6, 2000
I thought the 250sx already had a killer engine what the hec are they fooli with it for?

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Here is some info on the new pumpkins. It's in german, so most of you might have some problems to under stand it. http://ktmclub.motor-rad.com/cgi-bin/news/viewnews.php3?newsid=991385709,73565,
The changes for 2002:

48 mm WP fork with preload adjuster

Reworked Shock

Twostrokes: Lighter Piston on 200, new powervalve on 125s, new crankshaft on 250SX, new cylinder on 250s

Fourstrokes: New model 250EXC Racing (a 250 foustroke SX is not mentioned) Cooling system optimized and stronger clutch.

Oh yes! I nearly forgot the most important change: Black rear fender on all models! :confused:

Frank

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
KTM sure isn't afraid to change things. They're putting a new cylinder on the 250 SX which got an all new design in 2000 and was competely reworked in 01 making it a great motor. Must be good stuff if they're willing to make the change.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Don't be suprised to see KTM sneak in anything. It wouldn't be the first time neat things in orange showed up earlier than expected. The biggest hangup I have with a 250 RFS is it being based on the 250 and up chassis and the 400/520 engine. It NEEDS to be a 125/200 chassis and a all new engine that is dimensionally smaller and lighter to be in the same class as the TM/GasGas/Yamaha.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
I agree with Patman. What's the point of the 250 RFS if it weighs the same as the 400 and 520 but with much less power? My wife is very interested in a 250 thumper, but not with the current weight. KTM definitely needs to slim down the motor and use a chassis based on the 200. The hit the nail on the head with the 400 and 520, and I'm sure they'll figure out the smaller bore thumper too, in time.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
While I agree that the 250RFS needs to be based on the 125/200 frame, I'm not as confident about KTM always doing the right thing. Not slamming KTM per se, look at my sig ;) . What I'm talking about is the now years old problem of not having an 80cc bike in the lineup. How blind can they be? They have a hugely successful program in the 50-65cc market and when the kids are ready to move up they say 'go away'. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
Don't worry ! KTM have been testing the EXC 250 4T all over the place especially in Europe. Plans for it to be introduced next year have been laid for a while. It will be lighter, faster and better than the WR250F ( and have eletric start !) or I'll eat my hat ! Don't underestimate KTM.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by kalitude
All the manufactures have totally overlooked the mid sized market...

Kali - Not to start an argument, but I disagree with your statement. For years Honda has catered to this (play-bike) market with it's Z, CT and XR line. There's quite a few of us out here that learned on a Z50 or an XR75 and worked our way up through the XR line. Granted, drum brakes and air-cooled engines are NOT cutting edge technology. For play-riding, though, it definitely serves a purpose, low-cost, low-maintenance, long-life. Yamaha just upped the ante in the play-bike market with the TTR line. As for the Euro brands, they usually don't cater to the "play-bike" market.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999

Take it from me, someone who has enough money invested in her TTR to have bought a KTM200.

Correction 2 KTM 200's

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001

This is a thread about the 2002 KTM's; and like all the other manufacturers, they have ignored the market for mid-sized high performance motorcycles.

I agree with the statment about KTM, but as far as all? Port, bore and add flywheel weights to any 80 crosser and you have a mid-size preformance woods bike for a whole lot less than a TM80 enduro.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
OMG!

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
DRN's very own AJ Waggoner rode the '02 Brrr in the Bush Enduro on a fairly stock CR80E. Yes, Mr. CR500AF rode a sand whoop and log infested enduro on a pea-shooter.

As far as play riding goes, probably 80% of the people who ride (not race) off-road are simply play riding anyway. While the XR line may be the "worst" bikes out there, at one time they were the cutting edge of technology. However these bikes have remained low-tech and low in price, which is helpful when Junior outgrows it after a couple of years. Resale value has also remained high because they are nearly indestructable.

As for the Euros, they probably don't manufacture more 80's because the market is saturated with technically modern bikes from the Japanese big-four. KTM, Husky, Pollini and Cobra jumped into the 50-class because the technology in that class was stagnant and there was a big gap between a 50 and a 60 or 80-class MX'r. Anyone remember when the 50-class was dominated by PW50's? It wasn't that long ago. I'd guess if there was still and 80-class at the ISDE (remember when Poland trophied with their entire team riding TM80's, or Larry Rosellar's hybrid KDX/KX 80) we'd see more 80's from the Euros.

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
Kali
Have you talked to Pete at TWS USA (or any TM dealer) about a TM 80 enduro? You might give it a try.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Height vs. bike

Ricky Carmichael is 5'4", and fits pretty well on that KX250.:p

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
height & weight

Kali
I hear where you are coming from. My wife (5'4") is quite and accomplished MTB rider, but had a difficult time finding a suitable offroad motorcycle. The big ones were heavy and tall, and the small ones drug in the ruts and were pipey or gutless. Riding wasn't fun with so much against you and she gave it up.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
MX vs. Offroad.

Kali - Don't go there! You know I do not ride track. However, after numerous conversations with "fast" desert racers. I do mean fast (i.e. Shane Espisito), I have been told that MX track practice does an off road rider (or desert racer) a world of good.

What's my point? Hit that double, Kali!;)

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
How about a trials bike?

At least you wouldn't have to worry about a seat height. :confused:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
First of all Ms. Kali,
I have never argued with you on any topic. There is no arguing with someone who is always correct on every thread on every subject they enter.
There was one topic that was discussed in another forum, and a 13 yr old kid was asking which was better the XR100 or the TTR125...I replied to it:
IMHO...I feel both bikes are great learners. If you want the fastest and more track worthy of the two, the TTR is by far the better bike.BUT....Forget about the mods. If I were you, I'd get one of those bikes and learn to ride. Save your money for when you get a full frame bike. Unless you have a class like XR100's or TTR125's only...then mods are a waste. Neither one of those bikes are capable of competing in motocross,(boy, do i feel a flame comming) but like I said, they are Gr8 begginer bikes. Now if you have mucho dough to throw around, call BBR and have em build a TTR for you.

You replied, in part:
. If you want to see what a TTR can do with a few mods check out this photo (that is my TTR with stiffer springs and an aftermarket exhaust, the guy riding it is 6' and 185lbs).
I asked if you had a picture of that landing...no reply. And BTW...that picture showed nothing of what a ttr can do, it was merely a guy way too big for it in the air. That would make a 13 yr old kid think HE could do that with no problem. Not true.
Another fella said he thought maybe an 80 2stroke would be a better choice.
if i were you, i would go ahead and get an 80cc two stroke. they are about the same height and i think would be a lot more fun to ride. im sure that you can jump and go over whoops better than an xr or ttr. i don't know how much difference in price they are though.
Your reply to that was:
They are also much better at going over backwards and hitting trees when young first time riders buy them for woods/trail bikes.
I replied:

TTr125, XR100, Sears Mini-bike.....no matter what you first ride you can hit a tree or go over backwards. I guess my point is, no matter what bike you start out on, you need to learn in an open area where you can get comfortable with gasing and changing gears and braking. That said...I think that most folks think you are going to outgrow the small bikes real quick. I have two boys that are growing like weeds, so I can speak from experience here. It's heck to have a bike that you have ridden for less than six months and find out how hard it is to do jumps and stuff with it. Don't be afraid of a 2-stroke. My oldest boy went from a XR100 to a yz125 in a matter of a few months. He JUST turned 13. ALthough he is 5'-8" he is no pro rider by any means, BUT he is doing fine with his 2-stroke. Sure he was a bit intimidated at first, but after the first day of riding, hes fine. AND he also has a bike that can contend in any 125 class. If he dint have dad footing the bill, he would still be stuck with the XR100, and I know he would not be a happy camper now. Nor would I, because he was tearing the hell out of the lil honda.

Is that an argument? I don't think so, but maybe you do.
The point of this thread was 2002 KTMs and it seems to have went to arguing about mid-sized bikes. Lets face it, it's obvious why there aren't that many "mid" sized bikes that are track worthy. There are MANY MANY more 12 yr old boys who want a bike that IS track worthy, than there are short women who ride bikes. I realize you are very passionate about the sport AND your TTR, but look.....instead of getting on your high horse every time someone replies to a thread that you participate in, why don't you just list the dirt mag you read your opinion from. I mean, hey...youv'e only owned a TTR125 for 8 months or so...but one would think you were the world authority on midsized bikes. BTW, I visited your website, and I think it's a good one....except for one thing....you STILL don't know what a squid is :D
http://www.ttr125l.com/
No discrespect intended here, but if you wish to engage me again, be ready to back up your argument with facts....and not what you read in dirt mags.

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Alright---you both better stop it right "NOW" or we'll get Okie to pull over and----:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom