2002 rm 125 susp. mods

chapeau111

Feb 5, 2004
Hey all. After a 12 year break from motocross I'm back in the saddle of a 2002 RM 125, it's good to be home again. My question is whether I need to change the spring weight on my
bike or would a re-valve be sufficient. I weigh 180 pounds and ride motocross at the intermediate level. My budget barely makes it for a re-valve, so I'm hoping I won't need to add
springs as well. By the way how is the suspension stock on this bike, I've been out of the loop for awhile, back when I raced it was all honda even though their forks sucked they had
perfect engines.
Thanks

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i weigh 230lbs and raced that bike with just slightly stiffer valving and stock springs, with just a bit of preload on both ends. if i were you, i would work with what you have and tune it in with the preload, fork oil level and clickers. i now run it with slightly stiffer springs and valving similar to stock.

so, are you going to jump straight back into the int class after 12 years off the bike?

chapeau111

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll go with some new valving and stick with the stock springs, in the end it might be a little more plush this way. When I raced I was fairly competitive and
made it to the expert class so I figured that by now I may have dropped to an intermediate level, I'll know soon enough, my first race back will be in about a month. Thanks again for
your input, by the way how do you like your RM?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i wouldnt bother with the valving just yet, just go race the bike and work with the current setup. the rm is nice and plush and works well on rough outdoors MX, if the forks bottom just add a bit more oil- dont pay anything to have it done until you have proven that there is an issue that needs to be addressed. maybe run couple of practise days and see how you get on???

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…