windsormw

Aug 8, 2004
hi jeremy ( and members)

like the title says my rm , looks like a lowrider . The rear suspension is saggin a bit more than what i like . I have done a bit of resurch on my bike & what weight rider the factory suspension is rated for .

apparently a 2001 rm 125 is rated for a 150-160 pound rider & i am rounding out the scales @ 180-185 . As far as i can tell i need to replace the existing spring for a bigger 1 . And then tuning can begin .

I couldn't figure out y my rear end was sagging so much , until i had read 1 artical on suspension tunning .

I was tryin to adjust the working depth of my spring to compensate or the sagging rear , but i think that i could very well need to up grade my existing spring .....

what do u think ?

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
The correct spring rates for your weight are .43 kg/mm in the forks , and 5.0kg/mm for the shock. Since not many spring makes make a .43 I would go up to a .44kg/mm.
No , this will not make the ride harsh . The first step in proper suspension set up is proper spring rates .

windsormw

Aug 8, 2004
thanks for the input fellas

hey pete , u mind sharing the formula that u used to finger out my correct spring size .

thanks again

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
It's all done with testing. Go to www.mx-tech.com and click on spring generator. Jeremy has it figured out . The right spring will give you the right amount of sag without to much preload or too little preload. Less than 8-10mm of free sag , to get your sag set right means that there is too much preload on your existing spring (force exerted from the spring) . More than 25mm of free sag , to get your sag set right , means there is very little preload on the spring (the spring is exerting little force) and the spring is too stiff.

You could try this with your stock spring and the new stiffer spring to see what the numbers work out to be.

Top Bottom