rojapar

Oct 17, 2008
my rm's clutch is pure junk and am replacing it all. found a wiseco basket, bought new stock fibers and moose steel drive plates.

i found that hinson makes a pressure plate which i will get next.

but i cant seem to find an aftermarket inner hub. i checked hinsons web site and they dont have one listed and have done countless searches and am not having any luck.

anybody got any ideas?

i hate spending all this money on clutch components and having a weak link in there.

thanks

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The weak link in an 02 RM250 clutch? Time. And possibly a little abuse. The clutch has 2 positions, in and out. Fanning or feathering the clutch is nothing more than abuse. Regular oil changes and no abuse, an oem clutch will last an average rider a long time. Top b or an a racer, another story. Anything you do to make it last longer will result in more wear somewhere else.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
OEM hubs are only about $50.

rojapar

Oct 17, 2008
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
The weak link in an 02 RM250 clutch? Time. And possibly a little abuse. The clutch has 2 positions, in and out. Fanning or feathering the clutch is nothing more than abuse. Regular oil changes and no abuse, an oem clutch will last an average rider a long time. Top b or an a racer, another story. Anything you do to make it last longer will result in more wear somewhere else.
im kinda having a hard time following what you are trying to say.

"time" yea, i guess that is hard on any moving part

"a little abuse" that too would be hard on any clutch - oem of

"2 positions...in and out" basically that is how my clutch is. you let it out and there is no half way "slipping' point. it is disengaged and then 1/8 inch more travel it is fully engaged. pretty much have to rev the engine and pop the clutch and spin the back tire to even take off. it is impossible to feather the clutch and have it be smooth.

"fanning or feather is abuse" i would go as far to call it abuse, but it will def add wear. clutches are made to be fanned and feathered imho.

"no abuse last a long time" well. if you didnt fan or feather a clutch...that is have it fully engaged or disengaged at all time (if that were possible" would make for a long life im sure...but this is not practical or even possible except in some kind of scientific test lab.

my rm has prob 40-60 hours on it and the clutch is shot. i bought the bike used, but i have taken care of it since i have owned it and it didnt appear to be abused in any way when i purchased it.

im not a top racer by any means but like to hit the track on occasion and mainly trails.

i dont understand how putting in good clutch components that are made to last longer will make any other part wear out faster..unless you mean it will get rode more and not be broke which would increase usage thus making the whole bike wear out...but that is my goal :)

rojapar

Oct 17, 2008
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
OEM hubs are only about $50.
yea, they are not much...i already priced them...i just wanted something better to match the other higher quality parts i was putting in the clutch.

where in missouri are you at...springfield here :)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
It seems you have it. 40 hours on a clutch is pretty good! But, how many before? New oem parts should last you a longtime. A better clutch set up may last longer, but it is goinig to cost a LOT more. If slippage is an issue, put stronger springs in. Not 600 dollars more in parts.

AV8R

Jan 20, 2006
Fanning or feathering the clutch is nothing more than abuse.
Did you mean nothing less than abuse?
This is a two stroke right? Feathering the clutch is a mandatory skill on the two stroke.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I wasn't aware of ANY STRONG links on an 02rm250! :nener: Well, other than the super strong top end pull. That was my previous bike, I sold it to a buddy who has had nothing but trouble with it. Luckily when he bought it I told him "it's a Suzuki, it's gonna break". I put about 10 hours on it before I sold it, he put about 20 more before the bottom end gave up. Just before that he had to put a clutch and basket in it. The cylinder needed re-plated when the bottom end got done. Pretty much every bearing in the suspension and wheels went bad soon after he did all the motor work. He went to re-ring it this summer and guess what? The left intake port bridge was cracked. I don't know if the guy who had it before me beat the crap out of it or what, but that thing has been a P.O.S. But hey, it's crazy fast!

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
rojapar said:
yea, they are not much...i already priced them...i just wanted something better to match the other higher quality parts i was putting in the clutch.

where in missouri are you at...springfield here :)
About 35 miles west of St Louis.
Aftermarket basket and pressure plate... stock hub.

Top Bottom