2002 YZ125 Clutch or Tranny Problem?

Mjdive

Apr 13, 2003
I have a 2002 YZ125. During a race on Saturday, about a lap into it the race the clutch starting slipping I think and slowly went completly away. It got so bad I had to push the bike back to the pits. The bike would start fine but when I put it into gear It would be like it was in netural, like the transmission whould not ingage. I could push it in any gear just like it was in netural. I got back to my pit and pulled the clutch plates, they seemed fine except both the inner and outer baskets were grooved real bad. There was no metal shavings in the oil either. I am going to order the hinson setup. When I got it home and pulled the baskets. What has me worried is that once i removed the baskets, I can still just roll the bike around the garage with it in any gear, of course its not running. Whats confusing to me is this normal when you have the clutch basket out? When everything is working fine I cannot just roll it around the garage in any gear without locking the back tire up. When I have the bike on a stand and in netural, I can turn the primay shaft with my hand both directions and it will not spin the back tire, when I put it in 1st-5th gears and turn the shaft with my hand the back tire will spin. This is the first time I have ever messed with a clutch, and am pretty new at this kind of repair. Is this a normal clutch problem of do I have a transmission problem?

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
so you have the clutch out completely. no basket or anything. what does the basket connect to? the primary gear...w/o the clutch on there the transmission is not linked to the crank shaft.

Mjdive

Apr 13, 2003
Thank you for the info. I am really new at this dirt bike stuff. Just trying to learn as much as I can about the mechanics of these things. I would rather do it my self and learn along the way. Again thank you

Top Bottom