2002 Yz426f panic o no I am a newbie help me please

Status
Not open for further replies.

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
I just bought one and see that when it gets warmed up, it's exhaust header glows cherry red. Even when I get to riding it, the pipe stays the same red hot color. This worries me. Somebody tell me what to do. Will adding engine ice coolant help? I am also running 91 octane. Should I try to find the 95 that Yamaha reccomends? Is that glowing red hot effecting the engine, will it overheat, warp, and meltdown. Please let me know.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The pipe is made of light gage stainless steel and the exhaust temps are well over 1100 degrees. It's totally normal. They all do it.

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
well i talked to a mechanic and said that the extreme glowing redness may be caused by the bike running to lean and possibly engine damage. I am going to take it in to have him check it out anyways. I'd rather spend $84 than to ruin a $3000 motorcycle

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
I appreciate the help. Many have told me that glowing is normal on the 426. While that may be, my bike keeps that pipe glowing cherry red long after idle. i can ride around the neighborhood over and over and yet it gets even more red. This does not seem normal and I have taken it as a lean condition in my bike or maybe even incorrect ignition timing. Thank you again. Hope to see you on the trails

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
02yz426f said:
I appreciate the help. Many have told me that glowing is normal on the 426. While that may be, my bike keeps that pipe glowing cherry red long after idle. i can ride around the neighborhood over and over and yet it gets even more red. This does not seem normal and I have taken it as a lean condition in my bike or maybe even incorrect ignition timing. Thank you again. Hope to see you on the trails

For the 900th time IT'S NORMAL :bang:

The ignition timing is FIXED on the YZF so it can't be "off" and if the bike were too lean you would know it. Just ride the damn thing and quit worrying about it.

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
If the pipe starts melting and dripping onto the ground... or if it warps... you might want to worry a little bit.

I've used work engines that get the muffler red-hot at night. Never alarmed me though.

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
Its slighty noticable during the day and obiviously stands out during the night time. I rode it again and it seems fine. there is not popping when i let off the throttle or anything, so I assume its ok.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
An expert in this domain told you two times it was ok, it's not if you squeeze your leg on it though :)

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
no kidding. I'm kinda embarassed to say, but the root of all my problems must have been my radiator. That damn thing was so low on coolant. I filled her to the top and that pipe goes from glowing red back to the normal color with 30 seconds of riding. Before I could ride all day and it would still stay that red hot color. Thanks again buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom