2003 CR125 any good?

kurt15

May 22, 2006
I've heared from a few reviews that the bikes handling and suspension are both amazing, but that the engine is terrible and is recomended as a "user friendly" first timers type of bike. I'm hoping for a few guys with 2003 CRs to tell me that the reviews are just from guys on crack or who are over picky because there is an alright deal on one close to where i live... thanks!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I've read a lot of messages on here saying that the 2000 CR 125 had no power too..

I'm 210 lbs.. and I have yet to use all of the power that bike makes.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Your talking about an engine that has probably not been redesigned in several years thus making it the same on the 99 98 97, the power is there unless your lacking in the compression department. You can give it what you want with gearing the sprockets for high or low end.

rmrider125

Jan 13, 2006
Okiewan said:
And your experience with the CR is? With the YZ?

well i have ridden a CR 125, and its not a bad bike, it just doesnt make the most power...
then when i rode my buddies yz 125 you could really tell a difference in power.

if you have any other doubts just look into the 125 shootout for that year from the different magizines.

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
I thought I'd weigh in on this one as a long time 125 guy...

I haven't owned an aluminum framed CR but I have ridden a couple and owned a few predecessors (not just my 87. I don’t know how to change that…). I currently have a 2001 yz125 and have had a couple YZ dating back to the 80s; their 250s were much better than the 125s back then, but times have changed.

Honestly, I don’t think the CR is quite as good an overall package, but it is a quality bike and can be made to work. A LOT depends on your planned use; do you want to be competitive on the local race circuit or are you play riding w/ friends + hitting the occasional track day? Though my rides on the newer CRs gave me the impression that they are a little tougher to keep on the pipe, they are NOT slow bikes. Beyond that, they are very well balanced bikes for starters. The suspenders feel good, they really handle great; from high speed straights to slam-bam bermshots and the Honda quality and detail is top notch. Things fit well and wear well. If you are getting a good deal on the bike and it is in good shape, etc., I think it is likely you’d be happy w/ it.

A similar year YZ would be a great package but my opinion is there will be a few trade offs… While the YZ has a GREAT 125 motor, a stable and decently suspended package, I do think it lags behind the CR in overall feel, the brakes are adequate but don’t have the feel of the CR (I added a CR routed brake line and it helped a lot!), the plastic seems to age pretty quickly… and overall, just doesn’t quite have that Honda crispness and open ergos. Still though, a solid bike w/ a winning motor. That said though, my buddy’s 02 KTM’s motor flatout rips my YZ (which is always kept fresh, procuit pipe, boysen reeds/cage, etc.) Handling, suspension and ergos are different than what I am used to, but that thing is a quality bike w/ LOTS of trick parts on it stock.

Every bike lacks in some areas and excels in others… Bottom line, I think the CR will treat you right and you’ll have a lot of fun on it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…