What is a good bike for a beginner??

ETompk

May 4, 2009
Hi guys im new to dirt bikes and was wondering your opinion on choosing a bike. Thanks in advance for the help.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'10 170lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
not very yet, but plan to be in the future

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with trails, woods

4) Do you have any riding experience?
rode a few of my friend's bikes and quads. ridden a yz125, 2 different yz80s, my friend's warrior (quad)

5) Do you think you will race ?
no

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes i will do my own work
no, i'll take it to my local shop for maintinence
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
i prefer a 4 stroke for now.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
no, but i could find one

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
maybe $1000 or less

10) Do you live in California?
No, New Jersey

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
i am a kid that wants to have fun riding.

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
if you are a total beginner go with the xr200 or 250,thepower is strong,but more like a tractor, but i would recomend the 125 two stroke, its snappier and more "fun", hope this helps...

ETompk

May 4, 2009
there's been some confusion

ok, i'm not looking for an xr200, i want more of a motocrossish bike, like for example a crf150, but i cant afford that. i'm ok with a 2 stroke too. i wasnt thinking really at the time

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Your budget will limit your choices. Like Fuzzball said, 125 2t is the best choice. Also, get your wrenches ready, because you will be working on it.

02stampede

Jan 5, 2009
jb_dallas said:
Your budget will limit your choices. Like Fuzzball said, 125 2t is the best choice. Also, get your wrenches ready, because you will be working on it.
+1 The 125 2t is prob the chepest bike with a bit of power to get into. Just know that 5+ year old ones are gonna need some work. The upside is, you get a great bike for cheap and its easy to fix and parts are cheap. So get one and just have fun with it.I have a 250 now but I am in the process of tearing my 2000 rm 125 down and rebuiling it from the ground up. :cool:

Top Bottom