2003 KLX110 down shift wheel lockup !

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
I got a KLX110 for my son and the first problem I have come across is when down shifting from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st the rear wheel locks up momentarily. Anyone have any idea why, or know a cure, or is this just common to the KLX110 ?

Have tried doing it with revs up and with no revs. Same problem. The wheel completely locks up for a split second. Thanks for any help. :confused:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
It's a result of "engine braking". It's normal, but you might try slowing down a little more before downshifting.

If I'm not mistaken, the design is similar to a TT-R 90. If so, when you downshift you can hold the shift lever down (which disengages the primary clutch) and give the bike a little gas while releasing the lever. That will reduce or eliminate the engine braking.

Last edited:

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
VIC - It's a result of "engine braking". It's normal, but you might try slowing down a little more before downshifting.

Sorry Vic I thought that at first but engine braking would allow wheel rotation as the engine was slowing down the rpm's. In actual fact the downshift is locking up the clutch as it switches gears causing a complete halt of the rear wheel. To change gears with out lockup you have to be at a complete standstill. Any one else want to take a crack ?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by Flying Scot
In actual fact the downshift is locking up the clutch as it switches gears causing a complete halt of the rear wheel.

So the engine is stalling, then?

Does it happen when the rear wheel is off the ground, as in when it's on a stand?

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
Good point Vic - No the engine is not stalling but it does not act like typical engine braking. It is almost scary to see that amount of lock up. My friends Daughter has an XR70 than does a similar thing but about 80% less force than what we are seeing on the KLX110, I would call that engine braking. What I am seeing could be bike breaking in a short timeframe. I will try it on a stand tonight.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom