bigzuMER

Jun 11, 2008
I Need To Pick Between Two Bikes. Help Me Plz Fast

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
i weight 140... 5 foot , 10 inchs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
all about the speed :]
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends?
i play to ride fields while i learn then once i get better i will take it to the tracks
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Never even been on one
5) Do you think you will race ?
want too
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
My friend will be doing my work, his dad and him own over 8 bikes and know everything to know about them.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
2 stroke all the way
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
My dealer is going to be my friend he will sell me either a kx125 (2003) or a yz125 (2000) both for 1500 each
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
1500 or less
10) Do you live in California?
no
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I only want to know should i get the 2003 kx125 or the yz125 2000

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Do you prefer green or blue?

Seriously, the choice is going to be more of a personal preference than anything else. I would lean towards a Yamaha only because I have had good experiences with Yamaha and a less than good experience on a Kawasaki, which probably wasn't the bikes fault.

A 125 two stroke does sound like a good choice for you. You may struggle with it at first as two stroke MX bikes are not beginner friendly. But you are young and aggressive so I expect your learning curve to be pretty steep, so you should be tearing it up pretty quickly.

If they are the same price and both in good shape I would go with the KX125 just because it is newer. The overall condition could sway that vote considerably, however.

While the 125 two stroke is a great bike for you now you will probably want to upgrade to a 250 in a year or two so consider this bike to be a stepping stone. Keep the maintenance up on it and you should be able to sell it for almost what you bought it for.

Don't forget that you need to get all the support equiment:

Essential: Helmet, goggles, boots. Don't skip the boots, they really protect your leg/ankle/toes.

Really good idea: Gloves, chest protector.

Highly recommended: Knee pads, elbow pads.

You will need a gas can dedicated to two-stroke mix. You will need a way to transport you bike, which can include a ramp for the truck and tie downs. Buy a spare plug, make sure you have the tools necessary for minor repairs. (8, 10 & 12 mm sockets for sure).

One thing that can make a big difference in the overall price of the bike is if the seller can throw in any of the things you might need. If they have been into dirt bikes for a while they may have a pile of old stuff that is just collecting dust.

Expect things to break. Clutch and brake levers get broken all the time. Chains and sprokets wear out. The top end of the engine needs to be rebuilt on a regular basis. Leave money in you budget to maintain the bike.

Good luck

Rod

Top Bottom