cruznonmykdx

Jul 23, 2004
I have a new 2004 kdx 200. I just changed the oil for the first time and now when I pull in the clutch lever it does not engage the clutch. If you try starting it in gear, with the clutch lever pulled in, it jerks forward. I cannot turn the rear tire with the clutch lever pulled in as well. Any suggestions? :ugg:

Roland C

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2002
I don't know of many KDX's that are easy to push in gear with the clutch pulled in (mine sure isn't). That seems pretty normal. It also seems like KDX's are somewhat sensitive to the kind of tranny oil being used. The manual recommends (I think) 10W-40, but many have had better luck with synthetic 5W-50 (I use Mobile-1 and have had pretty good results). Some use synthetic ATF. There have been lots of threads on that and opinions seem to vary quite a bit. It could be that your clutch needs to be adjusted, possible that there could be some warpage in the plates, etc. I'd say start with trying a few different brands and viscosities of oil and go from there. With 10W-40, my bike would shift into neutral a lot going from first to second. It hasn't done that much with 5W-50. Just my 2 cents.

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
I have an '04 KDX200 also. Similar problem and this is what I did.

First, I adjusted the clutch cable. Seems that when new, there is a lot of stretch. Second, I am using GearSaver oil. Seems to work just fine.

When cold, my bike doesn't like to start in gear. After it is warmed up, starting in gear is no problem. Like others have mentioned, it doesn't like to be pushed in gear with the clutch pulled. It will, but not real easily.

Scott

hunter1

Feb 27, 2004
What oil are you using? If you used an oil with a low friction additive you will have a problem. The clutch requires friction to work properly.Drain the oil and relace it with an oil that is suitable for wet clutch applications.

cruznonmykdx

Jul 23, 2004
Scott-
Thank you! I am not alone. Where do you find the GearSaver oil?

TaxPhd said:
I have an '04 KDX200 also. Similar problem and this is what I did.

First, I adjusted the clutch cable. Seems that when new, there is a lot of stretch. Second, I am using GearSaver oil. Seems to work just fine.

When cold, my bike doesn't like to start in gear. After it is warmed up, starting in gear is no problem. Like others have mentioned, it doesn't like to be pushed in gear with the clutch pulled. It will, but not real easily.

Scott

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Gear Saver can be found at most any motorcycle shop, and you can order it online from dozens of merchants.

There are other motorcycle gear oils available, but Bel-Ray Gear Saver is widely available and works well, so that is what I use.

By the way, you may want to try out Mobil MX2T for your 2-stroke premix oil. It is fully synthetic and smokes MUCH LESS than does Bel-Ray H1R or Maxima K-2 (both full synthetics, I've tried both of them). I'm currently using MX2T at 50:1 and the smoke is greatly reduced from the other oils, even at the same premix ratios. Mobil MX2T is available at most automotive centers (e.g. AutoZone) and it is cheap (less than $4 a pint)...call ahead to be sure they have it.

There are LOTS of opinions on premix oil, but so far, I like the MX2T, and I've read lots of other good posts on this forum about it too.

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
I get Gear Saver in bulk (12 quarts at a time, IIRC) from Rocky Mountain.

Wanaride, did you mean $4/quart? $4/pint isn't cheap.

Scott

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
MX2T, in pint containers (I just checked), are about $3.75. That rounds up to about $8/quart...not cheap, but cheaper than $12-14/quart for Bel-Ray H1R or Maxima K-2!

You can probably buy it in bulk, but I wanted to try out a small amount before I bought a lot of it.

skagracer

Jul 16, 2004
again what type of oil did you us that sounds like when the problem started rite . as with the synthic oils for a cluch for get it you can waste you money on the bel rays etc if you want but i have 93 kdx 200 witch still has the factory clutch and has over 16000 miles on it and I ride in the mountains the only oil I us is 10w40 made for 4 strokes 1.60 a qt if you have put the wrong oil in now it needs to be flushed out us atf put your bike on a stand and run it thou the gears working the clutch the drain and put in fresh oil let us know what you did so others who are reading who must have some what of the same problem can fix theres .

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
You wanna use Mobil 1 15-50 with red cap. Not 5-50 Others in Mobil lineup have "friction modifiers" which won't work well with your clutch.

Top Bottom