Motosake

Jun 28, 2009
Wondering if a 2004 cr250 motor would work in a 1994 cr250. I got a '94 with both halves of the case split pretty bad. The cost of new cases are $600+, without gaskets, shipping, or anything. For sale on ebay is a new 2004 motor for not much more than that. Are these bikes pretty versatile, or are they pretty much same year motor / same year chassis only? what other year motor (if any) would work in my '94 cr250?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Man, too bad about the case prices. Are you checking with Service Honda? You might have to call if they don't have it on the web. Their prices are much lower than most Honda dealers. In your area, Mach 1 Motorsports in Vacaville is usually pretty good on prices.

When I had to replace the right side crank case on my '99 CR250R, it was only $170, and that was with the crank shaft bearing installed in the case (the bearing is a $30+ part).

The '02 and newer motors are completely redesigned. Doubtful it would drop in without major mods, custom pipe, etc...

From what I've heard, the '91 - '01 CR250R motors are very closely related, with changes to porting, carb, pipes, pistons, etc... Not sure if cases interchange for all years, but '91 - '01 are your best bets for a replacement motor or cases.

Top Bottom