2004 crf 250x performance upgrade

atarider

Aug 1, 2009
i know there is probably a lot of info out there but are there some easy upgrades to a 2004 crf250x to get a little more power without getting too crazy? Is there a big difference between the 2004 and 2009?

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
i believe the X is the same bike as when they came out.

Here is the deal, do you want power at the expense of sound or just quiet power?

Reason being is the X pipes are restrictive. You can replace them with an aftermarket unit like a PC or MRD and still be down about 96 db, but they are louder than stock.

But a high compression piston and cam are easy ways to up the power without modifying the exhaust. Always go big bore to.

atarider

Aug 1, 2009
I have seen some discussion around air filter upgrades, porting, new higher compression pistons, exhaust. I just wanted to know what I could do myself easily that would make a difference. I can live with a little more noise. How much more power can I get with an aftermarket exhaust? Note: I will need the ability to add a spark arrestor occasionaly for forestry trail rides. I noticed that the Jardine RT-5 has one that is removeable.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
most aftermarket exhaust have a S/A insert option. But most are loud, like the Jardine. Check with MRD to see if they make a 250x pipe. Full system is like $430

I dont know your skill set, but a new cam would be easy to install. Just have to check valve clearances and possibly shim.

Airfilters wont do much if anything.

Porting and hicomp pistons require removing the head and cylinder, so you also have to buy a new gasket set there. good way to make some power there, but will cost a bit more $. Dont know if the 250 is like the 450 where you can run the R head for improved power. Sure you can get a complete head with valves in the $500 range new.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Uncorking it will help a lot. I have an fmf Q4 muffler w/spark arestor on the stock head pipe, top of the breather box opened up. Jet kit in the carb. Hi comp wiseco piston and a stage 1 hot cam. I also have disconnected the pink wire. I can't say if that did anything or not but I can say it hasn't hurt. I don't know what sort of numbers I could say it increased power but if you talk to my son he would say its a 100 percent better.
I had a jardine full exhaust to begin with and they are loud and they pull hard on the very top. The insides came apart and thats when I went with the fmf and stock head pipe. He likes the fmf better he says its smoother through the entire rpm range.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Just jetting the stock setup will get you a noticeable increase. They come VERY lean from the crate. Opening the airbox up a bit before you jet will make the end result better.

Top Bottom