redslush

Jul 6, 2006
I recently purchased my first two-stroke, a 2004 KX250. Since day one I have been able to get the bike to idle without cutting off...warm or cold. It will idle for a few seconds with the choke on but soon after cuts off.

Another thing is, there seems to be a lot of smoke and oil coming out of the exhaust.

I tried playing around with the air/fuel screw but have not had any luck.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Anyone know of a good mechanic in the Austin area

enduro100

Jul 29, 2005
The exact same thing happens with my bike, no matter how warm it is it wont idle or even run without the choke on, and I mix my gas so the exhaust is always very smoky. After 2 years I just cant figure it out....I did a compression test, played with the idle screw, cleaned the carb, etc. Good luck.............

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
most 2 strokes are not set up to idle. I wouldn't worry about that as long as it runs well otherwise. Smoke is normal too, especially when you first start it. When it is warmed up and you are riding with the throttle open, there shouldn't be too much smoke. I had an 01 KX250 and always got a little oil on the silencer. You shouldn't have so much oil that it is dripping on to your swingarm/rear brake. If so you have a jetting issue. Do a search for jetting.

Top Bottom