2005KX 250 with SST Pipe

ted1012005

May 22, 2005
Hello this is my first post . Does anyone have an sst on their 2005 KX 250. If so how did you stop the detonating? I have to run straight sunoco race fuel ,then i added an 11oz flywheel weight and its pinging again. Im running 165main 45pilot with vforce reeds.I went all the way to 180 main and 4th clip postion still rattled,should have got the gnarly. thanks Ted.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Detonation is a very common problem with the SST pipes. I see even after race fuel and richer jetting you still have a problem.

You need to remove that pipe before some engine damage occurs. :|

ted1012005

May 22, 2005
2005KX 250 withSST Pipe

I noticed that even with the stock pipe it wanted 50\50 race and premium fuel,i dont know what i was thinking buying that pipe as isaw other posts here about that problem.I suppose FMF will say sorry try a fatty for another 230 dollars.The stock pipe was fine ,i have this problem with leaving things alone.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000

ted1012005

May 22, 2005
IL Have to sell it to a smaller or older guy so i can maybe out run him after he tries the pipe.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Sorry to hear about your problems, FWIW I've got the Factory Fatty pipe, Ti2 silencer, stock reed cage (V-force should be here tomorrow) and I get no pinging, VP C-12 @ 32:1 with Maxima 927, 48 pilot and 162 main with the needle clip in the top groove.

ted1012005

May 22, 2005
I know this has probably been talked about alot but im not clear on the right way to adjust the air screw,do i go for the highest idle? if so that puts me three and a half turns out with a 45pilot.Is that because of the Vforce.This is my first 2stroke since 73 i had a yamaha 80 with the oil induction.After break in i was supposed to take it back to the dealer for adjustments,my freinds took theirs ididnt.After 500 spark plugs and more pushing than riding i got an Xr 75. Years later i find out they readjusted the oil induction.Any way ive had 4strokes till now ,i bought the KX for riding in the woods its taking alot of getting used to,at first it made me alot more tired arm pump wise than my XR650r but the flywheel weight helped alot.As for the detonation i called FMF and they said the KX needs more air and in the same sentence said go 2 sizes up on the main and another turn out on the air screw i should of just asked my wife.Sorry about all the babble. Ted

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Ted, by over richening the jetting to help with the detonation you are in fact de-tuning the engine. Thats not the reason you bought the pipe to begin with right?

I know it must be frustrating, but you bought the wrong pipe. SST's are top end pipes. The factory fatty, regular fatty or the gnarly are good choices. The gnarly is best for the woods.

Let me clairfy some more on the SST's. They are basicly regular fattys with a restricted stinger section. This increases back-pressue in the system that in turn raises the pipe and engine temps. It also provides a stronger than normal return signal(wave) to the exhaust port. This increases the cylinder charge pressure, much like an out of control turbo in reverse.

The problem here is unlike a turbo, theres no way to control this over boost condition and detonation occurs. SST's make great flash numbers on the dyno, big top end gains. But along with this additional HP, excessive combustion chamber heating/detonation occurs that everyone complains about.

The 05 KX 250 comes from the factory with fairly high compression and and what seems to be an agressive ignition advance that pings on pump fuel. This is the wrong type of engine to run an SST on.

Last edited:

ted1012005

May 22, 2005
I know ,i was going by FMFs advertising that showed improvment all through the power spread,icould tell the first ride with the SST it didnt like short shifting at all, the stocker wasnt bad.ill try the Gnarly i cant use the top end anyway.I would really like to use 93 pump gas,even stock it would ping some times.Id like to try a different needle one clip position richer seems to much.

ted1012005

May 22, 2005
I put the stock pipe back on and bought fresh race fuel and mixed it 50\50 with 93 pump gas yesterday and it still pinging.The only other change was the flywheel weight 11oz.Im waiting for my service manual.Could it be something with the power valve i took the cover off and could move it by hand but it wasnt easy.Also want to check the float level but all the kawasaki shop had was the glass type that works like a water level and one of the guys broke it so there waiting for a new one.Does anyone now the measurement ,the shop just shows how to do it with the site glass.It runs great on the botom and middle, from half to full throtle in 4th and 5th gears it pingsjust for a second then it pulls out of it.

ted1012005

May 22, 2005
Has anyone checked where the timing was set from the factory on the 05 KX250 mines on the full advance mark , the manual said it should be on the center mark?

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Well, maybe that's the cause of your detonation problems! Let us know how it runs with it set to the correct position.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I had great luck with retarding the timeing on my older KX250. It actually seemd to run cleaner on the botom, didn't hit quite as hard in the mid and pulled longer on top.

good luck

ted1012005

May 22, 2005
Just tried it out with the timing in the middle postition runs perfect,so i pushed my luck and put the SST back on,even better same jetting165main 45pilot needle second groove from the top.I was very suprised it didnt ping at all.It seemed just a hair softer right off of idle but pulled longer .As for the difference in pipes it was more noticable because i tried both within a half hour of each other.The SST is about the same down low no worse but after that there is alot of differance,iwas over shooting the same turns i had just rode on.I have a 14tooth sprocket on the front and going along the river in the sand ,it didnt want to wheel in 5th gear with the stock pipe but with the SST it ripped right up,big difference.Very Happy and thanks for responding. Now does anyone know how to make my XR650R handle like the KX. Thanks Ted.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Remove gas cap from XR650R.
Tie a heavy chain through the frame.
Attach other end of chain to anchor winch.
Hang said XR650R off of the front of the boat.
Roll KX250 underneath removed gas cap.
Thread gas cap onto tank.

Presto!

vasvar82

Mar 3, 2005
Have you considered using extra gaskets between the cylinder and the head? That might help a bit. :think:

crutchfire

Oct 31, 2004
i have a pro circuit on mine and it made a huge difference over stock, seems more powerful everywhere. plus they look cool.

CspineRider

Jun 16, 2005
I have the SST for my 97CR250 and have no problems at all. I ride in all different types of terrain and weather, from Glamis to single track, sea level to 9000 ft 70 degrees to 110 degrees, no problems, however this post is scaring me though. Good info.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
ted1012005 said:
The stock pipe was fine ,i have this problem with leaving things alone.

thats funny right there i dont care who ya'are .... :rotfl:

my boss says this to me once a day

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…