ace402

Mar 13, 2007
So I went and looked at a 2006 YZ250F tonight as the 2005 I was looking at was sold to another person.

There are 41.2 hours on the bike since new. It started first kick and seemed to run just fine. The bike was raced in the "C" class for one and a half seasons. (the owner now races "B") He said that the valves were checked once by a friend of his and that they were ok. He changed the oil every 3 hours.

It has a newer clutch, tires, new chain and sprockets, fairly fresh suspension fluid in it. Overall a decent bike except for the slightly tweaked swingarm.

I've used the "search" function and heard mixed opinions on top ends and valve adjustments.

How often should you do a top end on a raced but maintained 250F?

Where is the line between re-shimming and/ or new valve springs or new valves with re-cut valve seats w/springs all together?

Who do you guys recommend for head work and how much does it usually cost?

I know Eric recommends finishline and the charge $545 for the basics with a porting job. Does anyone know how much one would be with out porting?

ricky_arthur

May 23, 2008
ace402 said:
There are 41.2 hours on the bike since new. It started first kick and seemed to run just fine. The bike was raced in the "C" class for one and a half seasons. (the owner now races "B") He said that the valves were checked once by a friend of his and that they were ok. He changed the oil every 3 hours.

Overall a decent bike except for the slightly tweaked swingarm.

How often should you do a top end on a raced but maintained 250F?

Where is the line between re-shimming and/ or new valve springs or new valves with re-cut valve seats w/springs all together?
IMO a guy that is racing but only had his Valve clearances checked once "by a friend" is a guy who is not doing proper maintenance on a bike. A tweaked swingarm is another indicator of an abused but not well maintained bike. Buyer Beware. It is overdue for some engine work.

Ricky

Top Bottom