gsxrkid74

Jan 31, 2008
Hello everyone!

I'm new to your forum. I'm having trouble choosing bikes! My boy just turned five years old and I purchased him a "2007" CRF50 w/training wheels. Well of coarse, I can't just stand around and watch him. I need a bike to. I grew up in riding trails in colorado. My last bike was a 1995 WR250. 2-stroke. I loved it. She was a little top heavy, but I liked the extra fuel range. My buddies always ran 250 motocrossers and they worked fine in the woods and the the track. My point is, I kinda always wished I had of gone with just the YZ. Anyways, I sold my bike in "02". She was getting old and outdated. I've now been riding sportbikes for the past 6 years so I'm kinda out of the dirt loop! This might sound funny but I work for a dealership in Wyoming. We pretty much sell everything Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, KTM.....Blaa Blaa... The last bad ass 4-stroker I rode was a 1999 YZ400F. It was the badesst mofo in its time. I no alot has changed since then. So anyways, of course I'm looking at the "08" 450 honda. We also have left a "07" 250R 2-stroke that I have my eye on! Which would I be happier with? I know the power of the 2-stroke. It's everything I ever needed to go where I needed. I'm not a track rider! I love open spaces, streams, woods, hillclimbs, etc.... I just keep getting told once I ride the 4-stroke I'll never look back. I know I could by an X model and it would be better sued'd for off-road. But then I'll be back in my WR vs YZ days again? People say the 450's run hot in the woods and they are a beast to control? At least the R. Is this true? I weight about 220 so I'm afraid to step down to a 250 4-stroke... Which leads me back to the CR250R? Mannnn.... I just don't know which way to go? I want to make the right decision though? I basically need someone to say this is the way to go and why?

Help?

:bang:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I went from a CR125 to a CRF450R. I heard all of the same claims on how hard it was to control and how crazy powerful it is.

I'm also about 220.

I have to say, they were right! It does have insane power! But, I don't think it's that difficult to control. From what I can tell, the throttle is variable. You can twist it all the way to the stop if you want, but you don't have to.

I went out earlier in the week to a place I hated going on my 125.. It's an old gravel pit, with quite a bit of rocky, sandy uphill crap.

The thing is a mountain goat. I swear it'll climb a tree if you wanted it to.

bikertim1966

Nov 15, 2007
Love my CRF450X! Electric start for us older/shorter riders (myself anyway) and the power is much more controllable than the R. I rode 250 2 strokes for years -- this bike seems jsut as fast but the power is smooth. I can ride as hard as I want or putt around with my son. The suspension is softer than the R, but unless you are into big jumps I think you would be fine. Tim

Top Bottom